Foot valve or swinging valve?

Users who are viewing this thread

ryon h

Reaction score
Hi this is my first post on these forums. I am amidst a rent to own deal for a house with a shallow well. I am working with a brand new 1/3 hp pump and pressure tank combo. My problem is this: when I first connected the pump to the house plumbing and tried it, the pump kicked in until the pressure tank was full. Upon cutoff, the water shot back down into the well, stirring up a bunch of sediment (turned the water black). When I saw this I did some research and established what I needed was a foot valve. So I bought a spring type valve and installed it. After another test, it seemed like it immediately failed, with water once again shooting back into the well and stirring up more of the black stuff. So I painstakingly ripped it apart and unstuck the valve. Trying it again it seemed to work great for a few hours. However this morning I woke up to the pump short cycling, only to find that the foot valve was once again failing allowing water back into the well. I'm assuming its all this mud or whatever it is that keeps making the valve stick, so my question is this: is there any way to prevent a foot valve from sticking all the time, such as a screen or something, or could it just be a faulty valve, or would I be better off using a swing door valve? Any help is appreciated

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
First off, the footvalve needs to be kept up out of the mud. Second, I think there is a QC issue. Maybe try a better brand.

ryon h

Reaction score
I may not have been specific enough but the foot valve is not in any mud it just has the muddy well water running through it which is apparently enough to stop it from closing properly. I think I will do as you suggest and try a different brand of foot valve and hopefully that solves the problem

Reach4

Reaction score
Your water turns black at times. If you have a well casing, I suggest you read about cleaning a well with air from an air compressor.

Try Youtube for one place to search. I have never seen it done, but it makes for some impressive pictures and videos.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks