Foam gasket for shower light fixture?

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
So I decided to replace the old light in my shower with a new LED recessed fixture. It is wet rated and the company told me it can be used in showers. Anyway, the old fixture had a little cheap foam gasket around the edge and at first I left it on, but noticed there was a tiny gap and thought removing the gasket would close that gap so I called the company (Cree) and they told me the gasket isn't needed and anything extra would just be a hindrance. So I removed the gasket to see if that would get rid of the space, but it didnt.

So, what I'm wondering is...should I trust the company and just keep the foam gasket off? Should I get another one? Should I use something else?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Vegas_sparky

Digital Billy
Reaction score
If its a regular shower, and won't have any direct spray, you can go either way. At that point its a matter of what looks better. I like having a thin gasket in between the trim, and finished surface.

JB412

Reaction score
Amateurplumber1, I was looking at a post you made in July about having removed the subfloor under your shower and questioning how to brace the studs for nailing the subfloor patch. In your initial post, you included a picture of the situation but the link no longer works for the pic. I'm dealing with a similar problem and would like to see your pic and a final solution pic, if possible. Is there any chance you have some images that you could send me? Thanks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks