Flux ?

Users who are viewing this thread

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
statjunk said:
Grumpy,

It's funny that you bring this up. My buddy and I were having this conversation not long ago. Before I started flipping houses I dreamed of one day semi-retiring from my day job and just flip a house a year to keep money in my pockets and maintain a reasonable life style. The problem I see is health insurance.

How do you break away on your own, doing dangerous work, and afford health insurance. My buddy pays nearly $15k for his family.

I really don't have dreams of retiring early any more.

Your thoughts?

Tom
The mrs carries mine through her job.
However...topic has come up about me covering it, with her at home to do paper stuff that I hate and answer calls....ranges for a couple at anywhere from $400-$500 if I recall..last I checked was about a year ago.
I use it twice a year and thats only been when I go in for a checkup.

Last edited:

Mr_Pike

Reaction score
Traditional health insurance is a rip off for guys like grumpy and myself. Go to the Dr, once maybe twice a year and don't take a bunch of non generic prescriptions.

You would be amazed at how the prices for stuff starts dropping when you tell a Dr. that you are paying out of an H.S.A. or Cash.

A Health Savings Account is basically a way for you to save money for your health care tax free, and bank that money for future use. You have a catastrophic coverage policy that would cover things like major surgery or a heart attack or something, but the rest comes out of your pocket via the H.S.A. I love it, and it keeps me from financing all the rest of the sickly people who go to the Dr. once a week.

You can research HSA's online, and they are available from most all the major players. They will warn you against them of course, because they make less money off of one, than a traditional policy.

Last edited:

Got_Nailed

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I’m bipolar and ADHD. Both of my daily meds are $150 a month each and my anxiety med is $100 for 60. Sometimes my anxiety meds last a month and sometimes 2 months.

I have to see my shrink every 30 to 40 days witch would be $150.

This is why I need the insurance.

Back to the flux.

I did use the Nokorode all night and it worked fine. I could not use the one type of solder with it but, it was one of the brands that I don’t like (the trash owns it now).

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
flux

Many years ago I had to make a solder joint out in the boonies. I hadn't planned to do it, so I did not have any solder with me. I used the tinning flux to make the joint. Back in those days, the manufacturers advertised that you could make the joint just using the flux and therefore save time to compensate for the higher cost of the flux. Every issue of the trade magazines had a cartoon strip where the "hero" would show up with his 95/5 solder/flux, (they didn't call it tinning flux), and save the day for a bozo who was spending too much time making joints with flux and solder.

Wet_Boots

Sprinkler Guy
Reaction score
I had to solder a 1/2 inch elbow that had 'popped' loose from freezing, after returning from a long trip. I was not in the mood for any plumbing work, and my little tub of Solder Seal brand flux was nowhere to be found. I finally found an old container of it, and set to work. Damn joint just didn't want to go back together, and my sleep-deprived brain was beginning to hurt. Finally got 'er done, and got my shower and sleep.

Next morning, I discovered the very-faded label on the tub of 'flux' read ~ "Milwaukee rotary hammer gearcase grease"

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
job

An advisor said many years ago, that if you want to go into business for yourself, you have to cut the safety cord of your other job and depend on your ability to make a go of it. That is what I did after 22 years of running other peoples companyies and telling my wife that "I would never go into business for myself". As James Bond said, "Never say never."

Got_Nailed

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I do want to go into business for my self but I don’t want to rush it. Right now we live off my full time job and everything I make on the plumbing stuff is going into the bank and annuities. The way I’m looking at it once we have what I make in a year + a years worth of health insurance then I will do plumbing full time.

I do think we have one on the way right now but she hasn’t told me. I’m thinking were still in the 5 or 6 week. This will put me off till at least when it pops out.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
Wet_Boots said:
I had to solder a 1/2 inch elbow that had 'popped' loose from freezing, after returning from a long trip. I was not in the mood for any plumbing work, and my little tub of Solder Seal brand flux was nowhere to be found. I finally found an old container of it, and set to work. Damn joint just didn't want to go back together, and my sleep-deprived brain was beginning to hurt. Finally got 'er done, and got my shower and sleep.

Next morning, I discovered the very-faded label on the tub of 'flux' read ~ "Milwaukee rotary hammer gearcase grease"

Thanks...laughed so hard the mrs came in asking "what the hells wrong?"..I mean "snorting" laughing.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks