Flushometer not clearing bowl

Users who are viewing this thread

rantfarm

Reaction score
I bought an apartment with an existing Sloan Flushometer connected to a REAR DISCHARGE Eljer bowl (we have concrete floors that we can't touch). There are no markings or info on the bowl. The problem is that the flush usually clears solids but paper tends to "catch" at the bowl drain opening. A licensed plumber looked at it and said that the diaphragm (a 2.5 gal) could be changed to a higher flush volume diaphragm, but with the risk that the bowl could overflow or splash out.

Today I had an idea: What if the bowl is the problem? What if I switched to a Toto that would offer less resistance to the paper and allow it to flush through? I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with this kind of situation. Thank you for reading, and thank you Terry Love--I hope this site is making you happy and prosperous, because it's a national resource.

regal_flushometer.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It sounds more like a bowl issue.

regal_flushometer.jpg

A wall hung bowl with Flushometer exposed valve, no tank right?

The new bowls are set up for 1.6 gallons. I hear from the people at SeaTac Airport, that the TOTO bowls are working well in their bathrooms.
Much better than the bathrooms with Eljer bowls

Last edited:

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Atlanta airport is happy with their Toto-redo a couple of years ago; saving a bunch of water and $$.

And I hear that Lincoln Center is happy with the Totally Toto bathrooms in their new facilities. The design of the fixtures look cool, too. The first urinals that I have seen that actually are attractive.

Asktom

Reaction score
If there is mineral build-up, a little white vinegar from time to time will smooth things out.

rantfarm

Reaction score
Not using Charmin. The most similar picture is http://img1.wfrcdn.com/lf/49/hash/903/7080500/1/.jpg even thought it shows an American Standard and not an Eljer. The Eljer bowl is the same general shape, except the footprint on the floor is rectangular, and the drain pipe outline is not visible. Based on the replies here, I'm going to take the gamble and replace the Eljer bowl with a Toto model that is made to work with the Flushometer. Thank you, all.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks