Flushmate delay and humming noise

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by marainwa, Jan 10, 2005.

1. marainwa

marainwa New Member

I have a 2 year old Sloan Flushmate and have not had any problems with it until now. Lately when i flush it, I have to hold down the handle longer than normal is it makes a loud whining noise, sometimes deep humming noise, then finally flushes. It does this just about every time now. Any ideas on fixing this? Thanks!
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

toilet

Having to hold the handle down is usually a sign that the "air bubble" in the tank is gone so you are flushing only with the incoming water pressure and volume which is not enough to give a proper flush. The humming is the sound of the water flowing to perform the flush. Normally it would be refilling the tank pressure unit.
  3. marainwa

marainwa New Member

how can i make the "air bubble" in the tank back to normal?
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

toilet

It depends on the toilet, but usually you remove the Flushmate actuator and allow all the water to drain out of the tank, then replace the unit.
  5. marainwa

marainwa New Member

I called sloan and they are sending out a new actuator for free...sounds like thats what the problem is...thanks for the help!