Flushing Problems with Newer Toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

NJ///M3

Reaction score
Hello all - been stalking the forums through my home improvement projects, now I finally have a question to ask.

A few months ago we finished remodeling our master bathroom and installed a new Kohler toilet. Everything worked great no problems at all for about 3 months.

A few days ago we started having problems - I flushed after use and the bowl did not drain immediately, it filled with water for about 10 seconds and just before I reached to turn off the supply to prevent overflow, it swirled and everything went down OK. I immediately flushed after this instance with just liquids and it flushed normally. When flushing liquids only it appears to work just fine. The problem has happened again, but only when trying to flush "solids" .

One other possible clue, ever since we finished the bathroom I have noticed that after flushing and the tank was filled and therefore quiet, I can hear what sounds like water dripping. I looked everywhere, found no leaks and seemed to have pinpointed the sound coming from the waste line. In the basement directly under the toilet (it's a ranch home) I believe i hear the dripping hitting the elbow in the waste line going to the main drain (we have copper waste lines). The sound does stop after a while.

The only explanation I can think of is an obstruction in the waste line from construction debris? (We did try and take care to cover the open line during construction but I suppose it's possible for something to have found it's way in.) This can't possibly be just a cheap toilet problem, can it? Everything was OK for a while.

Can anybody help me out - i'm not sure how to troubleshoot from here or what to do?! :confused: Thanks in advance!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Any brand of toilet will wick water from the trapway for a while, and you may hear water dripping into the plumbing below.
If it stops, it's not a worry.

If the toilet has rising water level in the bowl during a flush, and liquid works fine, then you may have something obstructing in the trapway.
Remove that, it you should return to "GO"

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks