flushing problems w/ new American Standard 2073 Flowise High Efficiency

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by craigibc, Mar 7, 2008.

1. craigibc

craigibc New Member

HELP!

I purchased one of these new high efficiency toilets and I am having bad flushing issues.. This toilets does not flush at all.

ok to break it down...

Toilet installed used wax ring with flang.. flushes for 4 hours then stops...

Called American Standard support they told me to change the wax ring without flang...

So I pull the toilet.. swap out the wax ring.. put the toilet back on and still had flushing issues. Opened the clean out to make sure it was not a clogged pipe.. went inside the house used a plunger many times and got it to flush another 4 or 5 times.

The pipe below the toilet is wide open, clean out is off for air into the sewer lines. Cannnot get water to go from toilet to drain!

Any advice before I return this toilet and get a regular toilet?

Thanks,

Craig
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Sounds like you have a clog in the main line. Depending on how far away it is, the pipe will hold a fair number of gallons of water before it backs up to the toilet. It's not a complete clog, since things go down slowly if I read you right.

While American Standard is not one of the preferred toilets around here, unless it is really defective, it shouldn't be backing up. Can you take a bucket full of water and pour it down the toilet slowly? You should be able to do that all day without it backing up. If it does after awhile, it's not the toilet.
  3. craigibc

craigibc New Member

flushing issue

When I removed the toilet i had to scoop the water out of the toilet it would not go down the drain.

When the toilet was off there was no water in the drain at all. It was clear and could not find any clogs with a snake.

place toilet back on and immediately drain issues..

It almost seems like a air lock somewhere

Currently the bowl full and cannot get it to go down. toilet water will go down after 2 hours waste does not leave with it. If I flush water and waste both surface to the top.

Craig
  4. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Got any kids? Did they dump something down the bowl? Sounds like there could be some packing material or something stuck in there. Got something that you could push through the toilet's trap to see if it goes all the way through? Normally, a plumber might try a toilet auger, but if you don't have one, probably not worth buying one. If it is totally blocked, and it isn't some foreign substance, doesn't say much about AS quality...that's one reason why people are not too pleased with them.