Flushing Problem...

Users who are viewing this thread

Mike IL

Reaction score
I replaced all the internal parts of the toilet; however, when I flush the toilet the water doesn't always appear to have enough pressure to force everything down the pipes (backwash effect). Any ideas on how to fix this problem? I have adjusted the flapper settings (flapper can be rotated to control flow of water I assume). Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Has this toilet ever worked well? There could be something partially blocking the trap or drain line.

Some designs are just dogs. What brand and model? Many of the brands didn't redesign their toilets when the mandate came to lower the flush volume - they just changed the amount of water it used. Some companies decided to actually do some engineering and their toilets work.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
flush

Make sure that the refill tube is placed to flow water down the overflow tube. That brings the water in the bowl back up to full again. If the bowl isn't full enough there won't be enough water to flush well.

Water level in the tank needs to be up to about a 1/4" below the overflow tube.

wayno2u

Reaction score
Website
www.fastfuriouspunkrock.tk
flush problems

I also have a flushing problem.
I have just moved into a new house and every time i flush the toilet it doesnt seem strong enough. Its like a week flush and you have to flush 4 or 5 times in quick sucsesstion to get it to work.
Any ideas anyone?
I live in the UK if it makes any difference

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The basic mechanics of a toilet are, in theory, really quite simple. The tank hold water which is released by raising the flapper. This sends the tank of water into the toilet bowl and washes the contents through the trap and into the drain. So much for theory. In the real world, there are engineering variables that allow some toilets to work better than others and there are components that can get out of adjustment or fail. As Jadnashua and Plumber 1 have noted some of these. With the advent of the low water volume mandates, the difference in brands has become more and more of a factor. In the "good old days" the main difficulties were the internal parts that failed or got out of adjustment and unless the toilet became clogged, the volume of water would assure pretty good flushing from most any of them. Today, the engineering of the toilet has become paramount. Most of the problems with newer toilets seem to be with the low cost builder models and not so much with brands that have spend time and money in designing toilets that will function well with low volumes. Of course, these cost more money. I have never been in the UK, so can not speculate about the problems there, but I find it hard to believe that the problem requiring multilpe flushes is normal.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks