Flushing out new well

Users who are viewing this thread

Drywaller

Reaction score
I have a fairly new artesian well.It is about 350' deep.

I have seen plumbers on some of my job sites letting the water run for hours before they did their final hookup to all plumbing.
Is this a normal procedure?One of the plumbers said it was to flush out any dirt and sand.
My well at my camp is about a year old and I was was wondering if it should be flushed out.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I'm by no means an expert, but I've read the same thing...on a newly dug/drilled well, running things for awhile does two things, flushes out crud as the result of drilling, and lets you verify the capacity. After a year, if you aren't getting a bunch of sand and stuff, I think you should be fine.

Speedbump

Reaction score
There are different types of wells, Rock Wells, Screened Wells, Gravel Pack Wells etc. They are all basically developed the same way. By pumping. Either with air lift, a Plunger and Bremer Check or surging. The main thing is to get out the fines, the cuttings and anything else that was left from the drilling and in the case of a screen, to pull the fines through letting larger particles to gather around the screen to make it act as a larger screen area and trap the smaller particles away from the screen. Once the water is clear and sand free, your ready to hook it up to the house.

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks