Flushable Wipes? The damage and cost to the sewer systems

Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
They call them flushable, but are they? They don't break down like other things that go down a toilet. And if they don't break down, how do you get rid of them once they are flushed? City works spend time in pipes and manholes, cleaning wipes off of pumps at large cost to tax payers to keep things flowing. Some states are trying to make it so the word "flushable" can't be used on the packages. There are a lot of things like Q-Tips, Floss, Condoms, and Baby Wipes that don't really go anywhere. They stick together and form large balls that need pulling from the system.

In other countries, people use water to wash with. It's cleaner and is also easier on the plumbing systems. Less solids to clean up and a cleaner you also.

Please, no more wipes down the bowl. Keep our pipes clean.
A message from the plumbers and utility workers that have to go after the stuff you casually throw down our pipes.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
They're even worse into your septic system as you need to do the cleanup when things clog! , either yourself or pay someone to do it for you.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Got a call on a sewage injector issue about an hour ago. Enjoy your dinner, folks, I'll keep the details to myself.

wipes-in-toilet.jpg

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Wasn't that bad. The flapper in the check valve went to pieces. Replaced it with a spring loaded valve.
Customer had a valve with union connections. HD had one with threaded connections (2in). The Lowes across the street had one that was glue-in. Bought that one, but the union feature on the original was totally wasted.

Now that I have your attention, I'd like to say that I would like to bullwhip the genius who designed the tank lid system for sewage injector. That would be after I remove the red-hot poker from where it really belongs in this narrative.

Was there ever on the face of the earth a more poorly designed product? I'll answer that for you: no.

It's not the putrid nastiness of working on a sewerage injection system that bothers me as much as it is the totally crappy, if you will, low rent fasteners used to hold the lid onto the tank.

Usually I end up snatching the bolts out of the tank with vise-grips and reinstalling the lid with drywall screws and washers, after a bead of shmutz applied around the rim of the tank. Should anyone really have to do that?

I'm chirping like a cricket tonight.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I don't mind installing sewage ejectors, but I sure don't like servicing them. I agree that they could do a much better job on design for the people that have to go back years later and work on them.

oldVermonter

Reaction score
In the London sewers a few years ago, they discovered the Fatberg, an 820-foot long, 140 ton mass of cooking fat and wet wipes. The fat has always been a problem, but the wet wipes create a structural matrix for the fat to cling to.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks