Flush Valve Issue?

Users who are viewing this thread

Matt Forman

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a 2008 Gerber 1.6gpf toilet (model unknown) that recently started to continue to run after flushing. My first thought was to replace the flapper, so I got a Korky Adjustable Ultra Water Saver Universal 2" flapper (Korky Part 100) and installed it. Installation included draining the tank (as much as holding the flapper open would allow) and wiping the inside, outside, and top of the seal that the flapper sits on with a wet paper towel that had some soap on it. It did clean it a bit, as there was some black coloring on the towel (mostly from the outside) once done.

However, that didn't resolve the issue. It still seems to run after the flush is complete. Although I can't really see water moving in the tank, I can hear something (as if water is flowing through a pipe) coming from the tank, and am 90% sure it is related to the flush or fill valve (or something in that setup). My other toilet (a newly installed Toto Eco Drake) is installed back to back with the Gerber. If I go into the bathroom with the Toto, I do not hear the noise - which to me helps narrow the culprit down to a part in the Gerber (as opposed to a shared pipe in the wall). Additionally, if I use the toilet shut off in the Gerber bathroom, the noise/running stops.

So, at this point, is there a way to isolate which part of the Valve assembly is the issue, or am I better off replacing the entire unit with some other Universal Valve Assembly? If so, is there a recommended one?

Thanks in advance!

Reach4

Reaction score
Is water flowing into the overflow tube continually?

If not, how high does the water level get compared to the overflow?

Matt Forman

Reaction score
Hey Reach,

Yes, the water is going into the overflow assembly now. I had done some research on Youtube, and saw a similar situation with the fix of "just turning a screw"... but I think that made the situation worse. Before the water was maybe dribbling into the overflow. Now it is rushing, and the tank doesn't stop filling - it almost looks as if the water is coming out near the top of the assembly (but that could also be due to water in the tank actively moving) - either way, it definitely looks like I need a new float at the minimum.

Reach4

Reaction score
You need a new flush valve assembly or repair the one you have. While sometimes repairs are possible, usually changing the flush valve is easy and comprehensive. http://m.korky.com/landing.php is a product finder for Korky, but Fluidmaster fill valves are comparable too.

It is sometimes a good idea to change the supply line and even the shut-off valve while you are at it.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The higher your water pressure, the sooner the seal in the flush valve tends to fail.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks