flush fill control

Users who are viewing this thread

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
I have an American Standard that came without an O9 ball cock but instead has some sort of contraption that has no float. I have never seen anything like this before.
It does not cut the water completely off and there is no visible way of bending anything to lower the water level.
Now what?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It probably needs a new seal. On some, it is replaceable, on some, you need to replace the thing. AS may have a warranty on the thing and may send you the parts; worth a call. Some of the AS units can use a generic replacement, some can't. If yours can, it's probably easier to just replace the whole thing with say a Fluidmaster for about $10. The seal for it, when it dies many years from now, is about a 30-second replacment and a few bucks. Some of the designs acutally do have a small float, but it's under a cover. Some use a diaphram. Another decent one is made by Korky. They make one that has an adjustable overflow bowl fill rate. Most older toilets overfill the bowl (it just goes down the drain) and therefore waste water...this allows you to balance both the tank and the bowl so they fill at the same time.

Last edited:

JWelectric

Reaction score
I am so proud of myself I just got to crow like a roster. I fixed it all by myself and it works with no leaks.

JWelectric

Reaction score
I followed your advice and replaced it with a Fluidmaster.
It was a lot easier than I thought it would be.
Now if you want to it will be alright to laugh as I did when I got home. I went to Lowe’s Home Improvement and got me a 24 inch pipe wrench, a set of 420 Channel lock piers, a pack of plumber’s putty, and various other items that I did not need and the Fluidmaster.
I should have known that something was wrong when the lady that rung me up ask if I had a large plumbing project I was doing. I told her that I needed to repair my water closet hoping to sound real smart. She said okay but started laughing.

When I got home and opened the valve assembly and read the instructions I also started laughing but I got the job done and I have no leaks. Removed everything and replaced it and only used the 420s to loosen the nut on the bottom of the tank.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks