Fluidmaster..won't completely flush

Users who are viewing this thread

Tbenton

Reaction score
We replaced all the Fluidmaster 'guts' in our toilets recently with new complete sets and all are set to '9' for flushing. The one in our bedroom still will not flush all the paper,etc and I have to hold the handle down for a long time. Its getting really annoying.

What else can I do? Will tightening the chain help? I saw on Fluidmaster website about turning the dial past '9' on older toilets but all ours are same age (35) and two work just fine as far as flushing completely. Can't really turn it past '9'!

Tank water level is fine and everything else seems ok.

Thanks

Terri

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
What kind of toilet do you have and how old is it?

Do you still have the old parts?

Is there a reason besides needing a new fill valve or flapper that made you install the Fluidmaster kit full of parts that you didn't need to replace?

I consider the Fluidmaster 400AK Comptlete Repair Kit to be evil in the hands of the novice DIYer. Good for business as a simple fill valve replacement or flapper replacement got changed into a major rebuild of the toilet with parts that didn't fit the toilet... Happy to say I have been getting a couple of these rescue calls every month since big box has chosen to push this product...:D

400ak_product_image.gif

Tbenton

Reaction score
I had to giggle about the 'evil 400AK'. Fortunately my hubby has gotten real good with this stuff. He watched our local plumber carefully years ago. We use them a lot for more major things so this was one he wanted to master for DIY and the plumber said he would teach him.

Nope...no old parts left. Several months ago we had several different kinds of leak issues with two of our 33 yr old Am. Standard toilets so decided to replace everything in all three including seals and tank to bowl fittings and have done this before. As I said earlier the other two are fine. I did fib a bit. The water in the one tank is lower than I would like. I adjusted the float all the way but level is still a couple of inches lower than it was before the change. Could that be the problem with not enough water in tank to flush with? If so how can I raise it since the float is adjusted as far as it will go?

Thanks
Terri

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The valve has two adjustments...one makes the whole tower taller, and the fine adjustment has you move the lever on the float. If the float is at the max, you need to adjust the tower height to get the height required to fill to proper height. And, yes, not having enough height in the tank affects the flush quite a lot. It can also prevent the bowl from filling full, which will impact it as well.

Tbenton

Reaction score
The valve has two adjustments...one makes the whole tower taller, and the fine adjustment has you move the lever on the float. If the float is at the max, you need to adjust the tower height to get the height required to fill to proper height. And, yes, not having enough height in the tank affects the flush quite a lot. It can also prevent the bowl from filling full, which will impact it as well.
---

Fluidmaster 400....I only see one way to adjust....with the plastic phillips screw on the plastic rod next to the float cup which raises/lowers the cup. I don't see anything in the instructions that I downloaded to adjust anything else. Guide me...I am good at following directions. The bowl water level is a bit low too. I am really sure now that its the water levels causing this problem. Gotta have enough water to move things 'along'...lol.

Thanks

Terri

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Fluidmaster

I have not, and have no need to ever, use the adjustable tank ball. If I need to adjust the flush, I do it by modifying the water level in the tank.

Tbenton

Reaction score
Makes sense

I have not, and have no need to ever, use the adjustable tank ball. If I need to adjust the flush, I do it by modifying the water level in the tank.

Sounds like the water level is definitely the issue.
Terri

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
The tower height of the Fluidmaster 400A is usually adjusted by turning the 2 sections of the 400A until it is at the desired height. Once installed they usually cannot be turned. there is a ring see pictur below that can be lifted and once unlocked the tower height can be changed. I recommend that the water be turned of prior to unlocking the ring and that it be relocked before turning the water back on.

I also recommend in your case with a pre 1.6 GPF toilet tossing the Fluidmaster flapper and installing a Korky® Classic Plus Flapper
p/n: 2000BP like the one pictured below.

2000BP-Unpackaged.jpg

Make sure that you cut the ring off per instructions and use only the hooks on the flush valve to attach the flapper. If both the ring and the hooks are used the flapper will not stay open for a full flush and you will have to hold the handle.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tbenton

Reaction score
Redwood..thanks so much for the pix and the tips. Very very helpful That 'classic' flapper is what we had on all the toilets before we started using F.M. 400. Hmmmm?

Terri

Last edited:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Tell me how you do it on the fly without turning off the water...and with out having water go every where...

Flush the toilet so it is refilling,
One hand on top to keep it from launching,
The other below to unlock,
Adjust to height and relock, Don't pull it all the way off!
Let it finish filling, Adjust the float...:D

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Oh....I thought you were referring to swapping it out...with out shutting it off...I thought you were going to teach me a new trick I couldn't figure out...:)

Tbenton

Reaction score
Redwood,

I now have the water level screw set to the highest level but still need more water in tank/bowl. I measured and the tower is too short and needs to come up several inches. I released the ring as you depicted and now have a dumb question. Which way do I turn the tower to raise the entire tower...clockwise or counter?

Tx so much once again,

Terri

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
With the ring released you do not have to turn it. It should pull right up straight...

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
You mention you need more water in the "bowl", but you also seem to use "tank" and "bowl" interchangeably. You can regulate the water in the tank which is behind the toilet, but the water in the bowl which is the part you sit on, is pre-determined by the weir, or trap, built into the bowl. You can not change it. When water is added, it goes over the weir and into the drain.

Tbenton

Reaction score
Ok I will try that. The instructions for the 400 model show arrows to turn the tower to raise/lower it. The bottom part has threads.

Terri

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
Oh....I thought you were referring to swapping it out...with out shutting it off...I thought you were going to teach me a new trick I couldn't figure out...:)

I was wondering the same thing. Thanks for the tip redwood. Will make a mess... I mean try it out next time.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks