Flowguard Gold CPVC vs PEX

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by MountainMike, Apr 9, 2013.

1. MountainMike

MountainMike New Member

Does anyone have any experience with Flowguard Gold CPVC and it's performance/ease of installation vs PEX?
  2. Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer In the Trades

I score the match a tie at zero, zero
  3. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

As you can tell, Tom doesn't like plastic supply pipes! If I were going to chose between them, I'd go with pex. Copper is still the gold standard. To do it in pex, you'd want to 'upsize' the supply lines or at least carefully match the load with the supply since the ID is thinner than copper. A repipe is a lot easier with pex. On new, I'd have to think about it...lots of things to consider.
  4. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

I like PEX better then CPVC
  5. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

You would also have to up size CPVC. Just like PEX, the inside diameter is about a size smaller than copper.
  6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

In this area, FloGard has been used for residential fire sprinkler systems for decades, but I have not seen any installed with PEX, but that does not mean it is not used for that purpose. CPVC has the disadvantage on needing many more fittings to install it, but it is also more rigid giving a better appearance.
  7. Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer In the Trades

Uponor/Wirsbo makes several "systems" for sprinklers and PEX