Flow-tite valves

Users who are viewing this thread

Jeremy Couchman

Reaction score
I have a newer manufactured home (2000) which has accor flow-tite valves throughout. This evening we arrived home to find that there was no cold water in the refrigerator. Went to the kitchen sink to find that there was no cold water there either. A little more digging and I found that the cold water valve is stuck in the "off" position.

I can push the valve in to turn it "on", but as soon as I stop pushing, it pops back to "off". They're supposed to be pull to close, push to open, but mine won't stay pushed.

Anyone familiar with these valves have any suggestions as to how to fix this? I screwed around with them some, but didn't find anything useful.

Attachments

• accor flowtite.jpg
    accor flowtite.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 17,960
  • accor valve_pipes.jpg
    accor valve_pipes.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 26,205
Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
valve

Change the valve, although it can be a chore to remove the old one. Sometimes you can twist and pull it and it will come off. Other times you have to cut the valve into pieces so the pipe can be released from the stainless steel teeth.

Jeremy Couchman

Reaction score
Flow-tite update

My wife was off work today, so I had her call accor customer service this morning just to get the ball rolling and find out what we needed to do.

Accor is sending out two brand new valves (All the valves we have are the ones with the hoses attached as a single piece and we have one that the hose leaks intermittently), free of charge, no questions asked.

They've got specs/instructions for removing the old valve and replacing the new ones in the package.

If I was starting from scratch, I don't know that I'd use these valves, but if you happen to come across these or have need for something like them, the company's customer service seems to be top notch. Granted it's one experience, but thought I'd pass along the experience nonetheless.

Thanks for the input.

nowwhat

Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks dude, I had the same problem with my valves and didn't know where 2 turn. You cant buy these parts at any hard wear store and I tried everything. You've given me hope. Peace:cool:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I am expecting to see more of them as part of the no lead law in 2010.

accor-old-stops.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
valve

Congratulations. Getting a replacement Accor valve is like getting a new Smart Valve from American Standard for your toilet. You go to the work and trouble getting the old one off and installing the new one, and all you have is the same piece of garbage you started with. And having the hose integral to the valve, ESPECIALLY a plastic hose, is NOT a benefit.

momoneymoprobs

Reaction score
Does anyone have the instructions to remove the Flowtite valve?

I have a leaky Flowtitle valve and cant seem to find instructions on how to remove it to replace anywhere. If anyone has those instructions, can you please post it here?

Thanks,
-Mo.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I recently replaced ALL the Flowtite style valves for a customer. As far as I am concerned they are "deficient" the day they are installed and only get worse from that time on. Grab the valve with a pair of pliers and rotate it back and forth while pulling on the valve.

Uncle

Reaction score
<<<As far as I am concerned they are "deficient" the day they are installed and only get worse from that time on.>>>

I agree, my valves are 7 years old, went to replace the kitchen sink faucet this weekend and after shutting off the water, found that the valves where leaking at a rate of about 1 gallon every 10 minutes. I was expecting to unscrew the old plastic hose, only to discover it was crimped on, and of course the replacement faucet I bought had the plastic hoses built in. Back to Lowes to get a faucet that had the copper/brass pipes.

I also noticed on Accor's website that they tout how easy it is install their valves, but nothing about the procedure for removing them. I think I'll be getting a plumber to replace their valves with "proper" shut off valves. With my luck, as I pull and twist the valve, the pvc pipe will break off in the wall.

Last edited:

Thomas Mcivor

Reaction score
BannerSilverValve.jpgTo remove the valve, simply rotate it counter-clockwise on the pipe. This will work for copper, pex or cpvc. The product is lead-free (California AB 1953 and Vermont 152 compliant). When installing a new valve, make sure the pipe is clean and debris-free (remove paint or burrs, etc). ACCOR's customer service number is 800-447-5848--as stated above. The product is MADE IN USA.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; The product is MADE IN USA

Not a very good recommendation for always buying USA products. The "ring" does NOT have threads in it so rotating in ANY direction will NOT remove it.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
We need somebody to saw one of these babies lengthwise and post a picture of their innards to see how they work. If it's what I'm guessing, HJ's got it right -- twisting will only score gouges in the pipe as the S/S teeth slowly back up. When or if the valve does come off, I'll bet the pipe looks pretty nasty. You might then be able to put a new Flowtite valve back on, but the pipe will be damaged enough that you won't be able to solder or cement or compress a conventional valve in the old one's place.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
My experience has been that when you pull while twisting back and forth, that the valve comes off, but leaves the "toothed retainer" on the tubing. Then you can either cut that off with snips, or just push it back against the escutcheon before installing the new COMPRESSION valve.

wallerha

Reaction score
i actually found that little teeth-ring behind the backside of the valve. i pulled it away and will attempt to try the twist and pull method when i get the proper wrench from the hardware store. i think that teeth-ring will leave marks if the valve was placed on with an existing ferrule - see the graphic of the inner workings i found on accor's website. in the graphic you can the teeth ring is inside and in front of the ferrule. on my setup that ring got pushed back and is just floating behind the valve so i think if i'm careful no marks will be left.
accor.jpg

Last edited:

Andrew P.

Electrical Engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.ieee.org
Shouldn't damage pipe if handled correctly

According to the ACCOR FlowTite R-Series specification sheet, the grip on the pipe stub is achieved solely with an o-ring, so if the valve is carefully twisted off the pipe, it should not score or damage the pipe in any way. Quote:

• "Removable and Reusable" --> "Installation does not damage pipe."

I also found an amateur video on YouTube (v=sNTfM_vku5k), posted August 5, 2012, that shows such a valve being twisted off a CPVC stub-out entirely by hand, leaving no parts of the valve behind and apparently causing no damage to the pipe.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks