Flow restrictor on Delta rough in valve???

Users who are viewing this thread

Mgarf33

Reaction score
I'm roughing in a shower only application with a Delta R1000 valve. The outlet port to the shower looks like it has a copper ribbed flow restrictor/aspirator insert. So, the water will now have to flow down to the plugged tub outlet, turn 180° and back up through the shower outlet. Can this insert be removed for improved flow or will it cause water hammer , or other issues?

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Unless you're using more than one shower head, don't worry about it! By Federal mandate, all shower heads are restricted to a maximum of 2.5gpm, and the shower outlet of the valve can easily handle that without issues. The restrictor only becomes an issue when you're trying to use more water on that path than the valve itself can provide, otherwise, the pressure will remain the same as the inlet, and you'd never notice.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I'm roughing in a shower only application with a Delta R1000 valve.
R1000 or R10000? On the R10000 the port for the shower is smaller than the tub filler. Defeating it might cause water to dribble from the showerhead when using the tub filler.

Mgarf33

Reaction score
Thank you for the replies. Yes, R10000.
Yes it is a multiple head shower with 3-way diverter. There is no tub filler, so the bottom port on the main valve will be plugged.
I removed it pretty easily. I did research that it's only an aspirator for use with tub fillers which serves no purpose for my application.
I realize the flow will likely change little, but since it's a second floor application the pressure due to gravity is already reduced. So, anywhere I can gain a bit of flow will help. I realize now, that there are high flow valves, but I bought this one already. It looks like the only difference in the high flow R10000 is the plugged tub port, and probably no aspirator.
Do I really need the little plastic strainer inside the valve?

Last edited:

Vegas_sparky

Digital Billy
Reaction score
I have a different valve, but similar set up with a diverter, and capped tub outlet. I hit it with a drill so the orifices are larger than before, and equal in size. They were smaller than a pee hole before! :eek:
IMG_20131130_083203_374.jpg

IMG_20131130_083312_959.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks