Flotec 1/3 sump pump

Users who are viewing this thread

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Went on a call yesterday and had to replace a Flotec 1/3 HP sump pump.

It was 1 month old according to the home owner and the finished basement had flooded due to a faulty teather/float switch.

These pumps are junk in my NSHO.

To be fair the home owner wouldn't have had a flooded basement had he had a backup system, which he now has and a good pump.

Zoeller M53 and 507 back up.

Bubb1957

Reaction score
As a homeowner, I have learned alot about quality sump pumps over the last few years. Flotec, Simers, and some of the other big box store brands are, in my opinion, junk. The "lifetime" warranty is honored, when they do fail after a few months, but your flooded basement, and replacing the switch or pump at 3:00am isnt worth it. I now go with Zoeller pumps and do have a decent battery back up also. Honestly the Zoeller pump costs about the same as the "lifetime" warranty Simers I bought!

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Two things come to mind

When it's been raining for a long long time....like it has been here;

Are all my pumps that I've replaced doing fine?

How many calls are going to come in as a result of new customers with

broken pumps?

I install nothing but Zoeller pumps....I did have one fail this past monday and I feel it was caused indirectly from debri that got down into the pit.

I went with a M53 and Basement Watchdog pump, a copper penny was holding #2 check valve open, allowing 9' of vertical piping to drain back into the pit on each and every cycle.

Of course this burned the switch up. The pump just never shut off is the problem, it froze on.

It was right outside the warranty of the pump but I replaced the pump and 2 check valves @ no cost to the homeowner. The customer was very grateful that I didn't charge as the expense would near $300.....

but there's no reason that pump should be failing at less than 1.5 years old.

It was the penny that indirectly caused the problem, I cleaned an entire bucket of garbage out of that pit before I set those new ones down there.....it's mandatory with any replacement.

The little kid that lived there was putting them in the openings around the lid, even though we taped up the majority of openings to prevent the cats from messing around with it.

Told him if debri gets in that pit again and causes the failure of the pump, he's liable and will be charged next time.

3 people all in the same culdesac I work for, have to give the benefit of the doubt so that I don't kill the opportunity to work for the other two due to a mishap. Mishap that didn't involve me; it just looks that way.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks