Floor mount/wall discharge toilet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Joerg

Reaction score
Hello Folks,

After a lot of searching on this forum I found a post back in 2004 by "e-plumber". It countained this picture with the remark floor mount/wall discharge.

Does anyone know which toilet this is? The poster didn't want email contact in the forum registration options which is why I am asking here.

We would really like to get away from wall mount toilets but must live with the exisiting wall discharge plumbing. Europe has lots of wall discharge toilets so that would be another option. I just don't know how to get one of those into the US without breaking the bank.

Regards, Joerg

Attachments

• toilet.jpg
    toilet.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 1,282
D

Dellar

American Standard makes the "Yorkville". It has a rear discharge.

Last edited by a moderator:

Joerg

Reaction score
Hello Dellar,

Thanks, I had looked at the Yorkville. But besides being very expensive it has the usual problem in that the discharge flange must be exactly 4" above the floor. Ours isn't. It is pretty well mortared in and can't be changed.

What I am looking for is what they have in Europe: Last time I installed a toilet over there about half the displayed models were rear discharge. In the plumbing stores you could buy gas-tight couplers that could be freely adjusted almost like a robot arm. Then you also bought enough extender pieces to be able to place the toilet where you wanted. So the exactly location, angle and height of the waste connection was never a real concern. Venting wasn't a problem either, there usually was none except for the main stack.

Regards, Joerg

BowlBreaker

Reaction score
Duravit is your best choice for a floor mounted rear outlet tank and bowl. Check out their Happy D, model # D14023. Toilet comes as floor outlet but they offer a "vario kit" which makes it wall outlet. I don't know what you mean by expensive but this one lists for 695 + 85 for vario kit. It is CIAPMO listed and is 10" rough for floor outlet and 7" on center for wall outlet.
The vario kit can also be used to floor mount this bowl in as little as a 2.758" rough in!

Joerg

Reaction score
Hello BowlBreaker,

That is expensive. I have never paid more than $100 for a decent potty but realize that this situation is messed up because of the stupid wall-mount system they put into this house. So I am prepared to shell out a lot more but not $800. It does come with a fancy seat with stainless hinges though, not bad.

An issue could be its large discharge horn. I have installed several toilets in Europe, also a couple of Duravit I think (but they cost a lot less). Like the Happy-D they need a 110mm waste pipe, or about 4-1/3". The good news is that none of them over there had to be vented because of those large pipes. But hooking it up to a 3" pipe like we have could be iffy. I remember that the traps over there were huge, about twice as wide as ours in diameter.

But thank you for the hint. At least now I know where to get a 'real' back discharge toilet if I can't make a wall hung fit properly. So I wouldn't have to import it myself.

Regards, Joerg.

BowlBreaker

Reaction score
Joerg, I just measured internal dia of the 001422 and it is 4-1/8". I'm wondering tho if you can reduce the size down to 3" and still have this baby flush. I will check with factory tomm to see if it can be reduced down to 3" and still flush properly. and repost here whether it can or not. also $$ I posted were List, I'm sure you can find there stuff discounted.

Joerg

Reaction score
Hello BowlBreaker,

Thanks for measuring. That sounds like the pipe we used in Europe. It's much thinner walled than our ABS. Might be PVC, usually light gray, and there are embedded O-rings in them. This is kind of nice if you have to dismantle a potty because of a clog. You can just stick it all together again like Lego. Europeans don't have clean-out ports on side branches, usually. But not many clogs either because everything is 4" or larger. No wax rings either, you just stap a rubber seal over the regular flange of a 4" pipe fitting and set down the potty. No mess.

The real nice thing was that none of the toilets I installed over there had a tank. You just bought a flush valve that was rated for the lowest expected pressure. Adjusting those things was a bear but needed to be done only once.

Going from 4" down to 3" is probably a big red flag for inspectors and a pretty good recipe for a clog. Unless, maybe, you could do in in a very gradual fashion but as far as I know there is no piping available to do that.

Regards, Joerg.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks