Floor Flange Question

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by rkelley, Sep 6, 2005.

1. rkelley

rkelley New Member

I just put tile into my two bathrooms. In one of the bathrooms when I removed the toilet, I took the nuts off of the floor bolts but when I pulled out the toilet, the bolts came out with the wax ring. There was no flange under the toilet, just two bolts in the concrete, and the wax ring.

So my question is, can I just put two new bolts into the floor? and can I do that myself? or do I need to have a plumber come and put in an actual flange?

Thanks,

rkelley
  2. plumber1

plumber1 Plumber

flange

actual flange is the only answer.
    Is the pipe cast iron?
  3. rkelley

rkelley New Member

I am not positive but it looks like cast iron, the house was built in the mid 70's in Oklahoma(if that gives a better idea). Is putting a flange in something I can do or do I need to hire someone?
  4. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Depends somewhat on the diameter of the pipe...if it is a 4" pipe, you can buy a flange with an expanding sealing/clamping mechanism that fits inside the pipe. If it is a 3" pipe, then you need a flange that fits on the outside. Outside is good in either case, but required in one. Inside shouldn't be a problem, if it will fit. In either case, the flange should also be bolted to the floor. Drilling through the tile can be a pain without the right drill bit. If the tile isn't already down, then notch it first so you only have to drill into the concrete. Use either lead anchors or plastic for the stainless steel screws (so they won't rust out). My unprofessional opinion.
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2005
  5. plumber1

plumber1 Plumber

Flange

No clamps for me.
    The best way is lead and oakum.
    If needed deeper flanges are available.