floor drain/ washing machine hose in laundry room

Users who are viewing this thread

nancy2012

Reaction score
My washing machine is on the second floor. Last weekend my washing machine was off balance and as a result of that the hose from the washing machine came off the pipe that was in the wall. i didnt know i was supposed to have a trap adaptor between the hose and pipe. So water came from the hose which was separated from the pipe. I have a floor drain in there, but the water made it's way down to the first floor, underneath the laundry room is the kitchen so water was coming down the kitchen ceiling light and ceiling. Also water made its down the basement ceiling only a couple spots leaking as a result i think from water being on the kitchen floor and it went through the ceramic tile. I was wondering could there be any serious damage done, and is there supposed to some water in the floor drain. And i have not turned the light on since this happened and have taken the bulbs out.

Cookie

Reaction score
Yes, the floor drain is supposed to have water in it. Screw your light bulbs back in and you can start using them and, as far as damage from the water, you will notice it if it shows up. Given when this happened last weekend, the water in your light fixture is probably all dried up.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
All drains should have a trap...all traps should have water in them to seal them. Not sure what you mean by trap adapter. If this is a trap primer, and was working properly, that should have kept water in the trap.

Even with a floor drain, that doesn't mean a flood of water will not seak any and all paths down. Unless the room was built with waterproofing and slope to direct the water to the drain, and to contain it in the room if it came too fast, some will go those alternate paths.

nancy2012

Reaction score
trap adapter sits between the hose and pipe and it prevents the hose from coming out of the pipe

Cookie

Reaction score
trap adapter sits between the hose and pipe and it prevents the hose from coming out of the pipe

Nancy, the confusion lies in the fact that there is a plumbing part that plumbers use that is called a trap adapter, the part you used to hold your washing machine hose, may be called a trap adapter also, but, they are not one of the same. And, you innocently, did not know that. I am glad that everything worked out for you.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks