floor drain vent problem in pole barn

Users who are viewing this thread

Timf

Reaction score
I was thinking that too, that the septic would take care of a small bit of oil, if it did leak.

Anyway the inspector offered to come back and discuss options. I would like to keep it simple and cost down. Any other thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks for all the help!

Tim

He ALREADY has a 1500 gallon oil seperator: his septic tank.

Any one following the decomposition of oil, used or new, would know that a few drips a day of oil into a private septic system would be happpily digested by the trillions of hungry bacteria.

One company is cleaning up oil spills with specific mushroom plantings that gobble up the oil like caviar.

Oil is way overrated on its life in the soil. But I wouldnt want to clean out a PCB transformer in my garage.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
Why not just do the slope out of the garage? Your septic does not need dirt, and your oil driplets will go where everyone elses does - along the road or onto the grass where it gets digested.

Timf

Reaction score
I just might do that if it gets too complicated and expensive!

I thought I could stop some of the dirt in a catch basin and a trench down the middle would sure be convenient.

I also plan on adding PEX for occasional floor heating. I don’t know if condensation would be a problem, but have heard it could be.

The slopped floor is sure sounding easiest, though…

Thanks,

Tim

Why not just do the slope out of the garage? Your septic does not need dirt, and your oil driplets will go where everyone elses does - along the road or onto the grass where it gets digested.

Timf

Reaction score
Would this be an accepted option?

A grated trough and a sloped under-slab pipe (3"?) dumping into the top of a recessed oil seperator...?

shop52-floor drain.jpg

thanks,

Tim

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
Unless this is a quick lube shop, and you lose a lot of oil, I would slope out the doors. But that seems to work if money is no issue.

Timf

Reaction score
I don't expect to lose oil and cost is an issue, so I'd like to avoid the seperator.

Is there a standard technical definition difference between a drain and a sloped surface? For example, is a shallow trough sloping toward a door or outside wall considered a drain?

thanks,

Tim

Tim

Unless this is a quick lube shop, and you lose a lot of oil, I would slope out the doors. But that seems to work if money is no issue.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks