Floor Drain In Slab Foundation????

Users who are viewing this thread

ironwmnmk

Reaction score
Looking for suggestions and advice since this site has been most helpful in past. Yesterday, my washer failed to stop filling and water flooded carpeting in my slab foundation house. That is being addressed by extraction team, but what I am wondering is how to prevent anything like this from happening again? Stacking washer/dryer is presently located in interior closet which butts against wall of bathroom (toilet is first in line, probably 24" away from washer). Is it possible to install some form of floor drain that either dumps into dry well or ties into main drain line so that if this happens again, or a supply line bursts or discharge line from washer gets disconnected, that the water can safely exit without flooding out the house? Would it be a plumber that I contact for such work? Any ideas about the cost of this type of job (wild ballpark figures will do - I just want an idea) - Thanks ahead of time to all - Michelle

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I can't even guess how much it would cost, that would take an on-site evaluation of a number of factors that would affect the final price. A floor drain fixture is something like 12" deep, and it would have to be connected to the main sewer drain. The connecting pipe would have to have at least a 1/4" per foot slope to where is accessed the sewer. So, the distance to the sewerline, and its depth would be at least two major concerns. It would be a very labor intensive job to retrofit the drain which would have been dirt cheap during construction.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
mucho money

that would be expensive to do

basically try to install a floor drain
in the slab home after the fact.

for one thing you would not have fall '
to the drain and any water still go anywhere
it wanted to .....and finally make its way to
that drain....

I suppose if you had a closet or
space availavle, you could cut the floor open
and literally install a sump pit, somethinig like a
5 gallon bucket with a zoeller pump in it
and then just pump it out
the side of the house--.or into the laundry drain
it would work and you could
put a pan under your washer and water heater and run these
drains to the pit...for prevention of future problems....

thats if you got the room to play with....

ballpark price of $1500-??

now that sounds like a fun satruday project.....

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
install an elec watts valve at faucet area

buy the one that comes with a water sensor. the unit.
watts intelliflow auto. washing machine shuttoff valve model a2-mi
you can also install an overflow pan under unit to drain to outside wall, if laundry is on outside wall. any water under the machine and hot and cold are shut of with selanoid. power outage?. no water forget the floor drain, this is in MY laundry. good luck tool

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks