floor drain, Canada

Users who are viewing this thread

Christoff

Reaction score
hello, i have a drain in my basement floor that is joined to a clay pipe and appears to go toward the outside of the house not attached to the drain that goes to the street . i assume that it is a drain to the outside weepers in case of a flood. my question is can i not use that clay pipe and make a 3" drain and put it into the 4" sewer pipe that goes to the street? this clay pipe is in the way, stopping me from getting enough drop for the 3" toilet drain
also i am wet venting a toilet from the 2" lav drain, does the connection have to be the last one on the 3" toilet drain behind the shower and bathtub? connections. thanks

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
The old clay may be coming from an old downspout drain. It depends on where it is coming from and where it ends up going.

The wet vent should be closest to the toliet. The shower/bath drains should be further than the toilet.

Christoff

Reaction score
i just did some more concrete breaking, and there is another 4" clay y connection on the sewer drain that is hooked into the floor drain, so the floor drain has 2 outlets 1 seems to go to the weeping tiles or visa versa, and the other to the sewer. can i block off the weeper side and just use the floor drain as it was installed 58 years ago, am i correct? or how can i deal with this situation code wise in my area? thank you

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
The pipe that you see going to the "weeping tile" is probably a downspout drain. In the old days, they used to connect the eaves trough drains to the floor drain in the basement. If in fact you are correct that it connects to the weeping tile, i would not disconnect it unless you have another floor drain that will pick up the weepers. If you do disconnect it (its called a running trap}, you will now have to prime the floor drain . You will have to find a way to connect fresh water to replenish the water in the floor drain. The water in the FD will eventually evaporate.

The prime can come from a laundry sink faucet or a toilet fill valve or an automatic trap seal primer, etc........ There are so many ways to connect it, its just a matter of which way is convenient for you

Christoff

Reaction score
hi krow i was speaking to someone who also thinks that it is an old downspout drain, can i block off those clay pipes and leave the drain in tact to pass inspection? also i have a drain from the high eff. furnace that drains alot of water to that drain to keep it wet for the trap thanks

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
hi know i was speaking to someone who also thinks that it is an old downspout drain, can i block off those clay pipes and leave the drain in tact to pass inspection?
If your downspout is disconnected from the drain. Have the downspout diverted to your lawn and cap the exterior as well as what ever you need to connect inside. The inspector may still want you to put a primer, regardless of the high eff furnace. It depends on the individual inspector.

I have had inspectors in T.O. have me remove and replace existing clay floor drains to pvc because we were doing a new bathroom rough-in in the vicinity. . The minute you touch the existing or part of, you are expected to be obligated to renew that entire portion and be code compliant.

as I said, it depends on the individual inspector for your area. He/she may be a nice guy/gal and close one eye.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks