Floor drain backup - toilet water disappearing - possible Vent issues

Users who are viewing this thread

paulb78

Reaction score
Floor drain backup - toilet water disappearing - possible Vent issues

Not sure what type of problem I have. I seem to have an issue with my floor drain a couple times a year. This may be 3 times in one week or once every 4 months. No year is the same.

So, every once in a while my floor drain will back up just on to the floor (house is 1968). I had the drains cleaned and inspected but no blockage was found to the street. The weird this is that I know this will occur because the toilet in the basement will suddenly be dry. All the water sucked out of the bowl. Not evaporation. The change me be from the morning to the afternoon.

As soon as I plunge the toilet vigorously, the drain floor drain immediately clears and I can pour an unlimited amount of water down the floor drain.

I am thinking vent issue but any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
There is a belly in the pipe below the floor. A camera inspection will verify that

paulb78

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I was wondering, I had the drains video inspected a year or so ago with nothing showing. It was from one of the more recommended companies in my area. They didn't find anything They only looked in my cleanout to the street, not from where the backup was occurring. That sound inadequate as I am typing this.

How to I get them to look for this issue specifically? Does this involve special equipment?

As I mentioned in the previous post I can drain my 1/2 line for ever once I have "burped" my drain.

Thanks,

Paul

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
A belly can accumulate waste. Once it is cleared, things work okay for awhile.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks