Floodsafe hoses

Users who are viewing this thread

Lordoftheflies

Reaction score
So I've read about how terrible Floodsafe hoses are.

My question is, what's to prevent a "regular" stainless steel braided hose from busting?

This happened to me yesterday - came home, opened the door and the house felt like a steam room.

Crazy hissing from the kitchen sink - so much steam I couldn't see anything (glasses fogged up) so I ran downstairs and shut off the main. The ceiling was a waterfall of water.

Turns out it was a busted supply line to the hot water faucet in the kitchen sink that just kept pushing out 220 degree hot water (thanks to the new tankless heater) for a few hours it would seem (I was out for 4). Kitchen flooded and 75% of the basement. Got lots of towels, wet/dry vac and everything is dry now

Here's a pic of the busted hose (not a Floodsafe). This hose came with the faucet (I don't remember the brand) and is about 5 years old if I recall correctly.

If the Floodsafe is no good, what's the point of using a regular hose if this could happen again? Are you supposed to change all your supply lines every 5 years??

Floodcheck only has it for washing machines. What about your faucet supplies, toilets, and dishwasher?

Insurance agent coming hopefully within a day or so. Knock on wood.

2013-10-12 17.14.10 HDR.jpg
2013-10-12 17.10.59 HDR.jpg
2013-10-12 17.10.55.jpg
2013-10-12 17.08.55.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The Floodsafe ones break where they connect to the valve. The only time I have ever seen a conventional one break was when they stored pool chemicals in the cabinet. It COULD be relevant that it happened where the had a red stain on it, unless that red was to indicate the hot water line. If it came with the faucet, it would usually be "proprietary" and you would have to get a replacement from the manufacturer, assuming it is replaceable.

Last edited:

Lordoftheflies

Reaction score
After the water was shut off and the steam gone...I looked and it appeared that the hose was touching that bottle of dishwashing soap. The red stains look to me like rust. That bottle is stationary and is not leaking so I'm not sure what caused the hose to go.

Still, how long are supply hoses supposed to last anyways?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks