Flooding and Drought caused fires in the US. Wazzup?

Users who are viewing this thread

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Ian,

You have many suggestions as how to fix things in the US, supported by how wonderful things are in the UK, so now, I am asking you what the government here should do to fix the disparity of conditions in one part of the US to another. I don't think more taxes, or riding more horses or buses will stop the droughts or the floods. What are your thoughts on this. Can't we somehow get the flood causing storms to rain on Texas instead of the Mid Atlantic states? Or do something so the storms form off the coast of Africa and rain on African countries where they need the water? Oops, gotta go get another 6 pack; this one's done.

Last edited:

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
The great lakes are rising. A great work project would be a 60" pipeline from Chicago to Texas or so.

Be sure to use US steel. And teens to clear the path of brush by hand.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
The fires and the flooding here Bob may have been aggrevated by global warming which is mostly man-made, specifically American.

If you want to stop future events, tax gas and cap and trade CO2 emissions.

We've known this for years. But until now these events were not on your doorstep so most Americans did not pay much attention.

They will, perhaps, now. Let's just hope it won't be too late by the time they do.

A hurricane caused by the said American warming - one that missed America - is currently en route to England.

I hope things will be OK there. I'm confident they will be because our roofs are slate; our power lines are buried; and, we are clever enough not to build basements below grade.

So while America gets flooding, power outages and leaks from a hurricane the English just keep watching TV and sipping tea through the whole event.

This is why the English are in America's heritage. We're bright.

Last edited:

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
The fires and the flooding here Bob have been aggrevated by global warming which is mostly man-made, specifically American.

If you want to stop future events, tax gas and cap and trade CO2 emissions.

We've known this for years. But until now these events were not on your doorstep so most Americans did not pay much attention.

They will, perhaps, now. Let's just hope it won't be too late by the time they do.

A hurricane caused by the said American warming - one that missed America - is currently en route to England.

I hope things will be OK there. I'm confident they will be because our roofs are slate; our power lines are buried; and, we are clever enough not to build basements below grade.

So while America gets flooding, power outages and leaks from a hurricane the English just keep watching TV and sipping tea through the whole event.

This is why the English are in America's heritage. We're bright.

I just posted that to hear you say what you did, and expected nothing other. You are like a broken record. Why do you stay here anyway? That's something I don't understand. "we're bright": self praise stinks.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
You did ask Bob.

And, while we are on the topic of self-praise, England does not proclaim to be the best country in the world...

So it's not all that bad then, is it?

I stay here because I like it and the people are friendly.

I can live with the quirks. The basement does provide good storage space, after all.

Last edited:

Cookie

Reaction score
Your basement at ground level doesn't do much to keep you from being air-borne in a good storm, it provides no shelter. The houses built on flats, and trailers, are the worst for safety.

I don't know if you ever had to repair a slate roof but, it is like repairing terra cotta. You can't walk on without damaging good tiles to get to the bad ones. It is very expensive to do. Plus, the underlying wood rots and even, though you think you are going to get 60 to 100some plus years, it can be a farce because once you get cracks in the slate it has to be fixed very promptly or else you damage the wood underneath. Once, you pick up those tiles you are done. And, anything due to a storm or just age, can easily crack them. They are not what they are cracked up to be, no pun intended. Your best bet is a plain, ole, normal asphalt shingles and call 20 to 25 years good. If the wood underneath is good, you can overlay a second. Then, next time, tear both off, for the yourself or for the benefit of other Americans.

Which by the way, we can proclaim we are the best, because we are. That is why you like it here. If you don't want to proclaim England as the best that is fine; if, you want to proclaim England as the best again, that is fine. That is the way of the USA.

It is all about freedom and choices.

Just a note about slate and terra cotta roofs. In even the most expensive areas, those roofs can be a deter in a sale.

Just like an inground pool.

Last edited:

Ballvalve

Reaction score
Asphalt roof shingles are an American bad joke. 8 to 15 years in reality. The old fake brick pattern asphalt siding at least made a bit of sense.

STEEL or aluminum. One hundred years and then melt it and do it again. Or torch down on a flat roof with slate chips on top.

Slates look great, and placed on SOLID wood slats with copper ring shank nails, can go 100 years without any reason to go up there.

Ian Gills

Senior Robin Hood Guy
Reaction score
Slates look great, and placed on SOLID wood slats with copper ring shank nails, can go 100 years without any reason to go up there.

That's the way the English taught Americans to do it.

What went wrong?

A lot was forgotten on that boat. Or perhaps just not taken.

TJanak

Reaction score
The great lakes are rising. A great work project would be a 60" pipeline from Chicago to Texas or so.

Be sure to use US steel. And teens to clear the path of brush by hand.

I've been thinking this for a while now. Remember back in the spring/summer when the Mississippi was having record floods? We would have paid dearly for that water here in Texas. I say if Obama wants a shovel ready job then we have one for him. Literally shovel ready. Protecting America's food supply is critical and nobody ever talks about it. We would probably need a 60' wide canal instead of a 60" pipe though.

Ballvalve

Reaction score
Yeah, suck out 1/3 of that wasted mississippi river water and send it to texas.

You might get some big Jumping Chinese carp, however.

Ask california how to do it. Got canals like New york has stockbrokers. Store it in the high hiwater days.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks