Flooded Hot Water Heater

Users who are viewing this thread

carol l

Reaction score
The basement recently flooded in our rental. I installed a new gas hot water tank last October. It was not high enough off the floor and got about an inch of water in the bottom. The pilot light is out and the electronic ignition is not working. Will it work again when it dries out? Can I light the pilot with a match? It's the weekend and no plumbers available.

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Most likely it will light with a match... personally I'd use a BBQ lighter...or propane torch.

carol l

Reaction score
The glass front on the pilot light window is on pretty good. Can I just pry this off?
The old heater had just match lit pilot light so I do know what I'm doing there. But if I put a fan on the floor and try to dry it out this way, will the ignitor eventually work again or does it need to be replaced?

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
NO. You should have a button that you press to create a spark to light the gas. Read and follow the ignition procedure on the side of the tank.

carol l

Reaction score
Cass,
I will try to use the electronic ignitor again but I need to know if I should try to dry it out, just wait awhile longer and try again or get it replaced. A match is my last resort but we do need hot water soon.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
An inch of water should not have affected the pilot. If it was flooded above the level of the burner assembly, or if the gas valve was in water, the whole unit is scrap. You are not allowed to attempt any repairs, as such would be very dangerous.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks