flooded gas water heater

Users who are viewing this thread

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
i live in the county of Marin ,that has just flooded. one of my customers had 7 ft of water in his basement. the gas water heater had water up at least 50" high. if i pull the burner assy. out and blow it out with compressed air do you feel this will work as a temp measure?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I don't have any practical experience in this, but seem to remember reading in an owner's manual I read that the only option was to replace...same thing with the furnace and gas dryer. Now, that may be a liability thing, but rust and mangled/fried control/safety circuits would potentially be very dangerous. You probably don't want to touch this from a liability standpoint. My unprofessional opinion.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Is it the new style or old. Could you light the pilot with a match, B4 the flood.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
new water heater

the newer heaters it would be wise just to change it out

an older heater might be salvagable,

but personally, Being in business, I dont need that liability....

you are on the hook if you repair a piece of junk,
and you and youir insurance company are on the hook for lots ,

lots more than a new heater would have ever cost the homewoner.....

Remember, NO GOOD DEED EVER GOES UNPUNISHED

today you are the nice guy that is trying to do him a favor,

tomorrow , when the thing catches fire or worse,

you are the professional WHO SHOULD HAVE KNOWN BETTER..
--------------------------------------------------------------

With seven feet of water many things can be wrong....

the chimmney and baffle could be clogged, the T-stat is most lilkey bad,

the T+P valve needs to be changed,

the insualtion is wet and will steam up when it drys, ect ect..

so its best to tell the fellow he needs a NEW ONE

if he dont want to do it , just walk away.. its not worth it.

Last edited:

Toolaholic

Reaction score
Thank's ,i Needed To Hear That

this the town of ross , nothing under$$$13/4 mill. i need my head examined

thank's tool ;)

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
flood

My heater, and every gas one I have ever seen, states on its "warning" lable that ANY heater that has had the burner and controls submerged REQUIRES replacement of the entire heater.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
After the Katrina thing, this question came up a lot. GAMA ( Gas appliance manufacturer's association) and the electrical equivalent group ( forgot the name) took the postition that any residential appliance flooded to the level of the burners and valves MUST be discarded. Repairs should not be attempted. All WH manufacturers I believe had already subscribed to this position. A flooded gas valve could never be trusted. Dirt and water do damage to the piping and burners which may be hidden, or manifest itself weeks or months later. It just does not pay to fool around with this. Your insurance company should not hesitate to replace the WH.

GAMA allows possible rebuild of large commercial equipment under very strict guidelines involving written procedures approved by the manufacturer. For a residential water heater, the cost of the procedure would FAR exceed the cost of a new unit.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
If the gas valve is / becomes flooded with fresh water I don't know why the valve and pilot tube can't be replaced and the burner assy. blown out with air. Especially on a large and / or newer heaters. If were talking salt or brackish water there are other issues. Power Vents would / should be replaced.

Electrics can have the stats replaced. Unless they have a PC board with idiot lights.
I've worked on electrics that the home owner tried to install and leaked at the nipples and totaly soaked the insulation, same as a flood. If the flooded unit sat for weeks or months then it is a different story, you have rust issues, but 1-24 hrs. wouldn't be a big deal for gas or electric.

If the Ins. company will replace it and there is other damage and you have to spring for the deductable anyway then by all means have it replaced.

The heaters age would also be a factor.

The Ins. companys are strange,some won't cover if you have a sump pump and it fails but will cover if you don't have a pump. Some won't cover at all and others will cover if it wasn't from rain. They are all over the place as to what they will and will not cover for.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If the gas valve is / becomes flooded with water I don't know why the valve and pilot tube can't be replaced and the burner assy. blown out with air. Especially on a large and / or newer heaters.

One reason is that if the unit fails and creates a hazardous condition, your insurance company will not be happy with you if you did not follow the manufacturer's recommendation. Even if it does not create a hazard, the customer will expect you to "make good" on your repair, which could involve replacing the heater at your own expense. I believe in saving the customer money, whenever possible, but never when there is a potential liability for doing so.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Link to GAMA press release

http://www.gamanet.org/gama/news.nsf/vAttachmentLaunch/466514DE0A45531E8525706D0057A78B/$FILE/083005%20Hurricane%20Katriana.pdf

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
russian roulette with a gas water heater

you guys do whatever you want to with a
water heater that has been submerged in 7 feet of water.
clear or dirty, for how long??? I dont care...

I am throwing it out...

yes , the orfice can be blown out, -- blow boys blow--
yes the burner assemebly can be changed,
yes the GAS thermostat simply MUST be replaced...
(you would be a fool not to change it)

dont foget to stand on your head and
check out the chimmney baffle going up the flu pipe...

pull out the baffle and make sure its not all bent up
or clogged up in spots....
We wouldent want to carbon monoxide anyone to death...

dont forget the T+P valve....too..

If you just got to prove you are
tighter or more thrifty than the Dutch Amish living on a farm

be my guest and go for it...

you are just asking for trouble...

I pay about $$ k a year for insurance...

I dont need the liability and I will have it changed out
long before you get that wet dog safely repaired....

and I will sleep better too.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

No good deed ever goes unpunished.

you might be his best buddy today,
but tomorrow you might be in court
being sued by your best buddy

he is the stupid consumer and you are the professional
who should have known better....

Last edited:

Toolaholic

Reaction score
jusr read all the replys, thank's

well i did the right thing. it was a state 50 gal power vent nat. gas cpvc chimney3" i replaced with an oa smith power shot 50 gal. this is EXACTLY
the same w. h. with a diff. sticker. elec. ignitation, heat control with
light buttons. this is the best w.h. i have ever installed! i'm a ca lic gen cont. that does all of his own plumb. and.elec. my cost with tax was around
$768 with all the flood damage, i got the last one at my plumb. supply.
i didn.t need any work before this flood! these are new friends and are grateful to have hot water. this is soo much work for all the trades!!
the carpet folks alone will make millions! thank's tool.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks