Flood pump with built-in water sensor

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by dx, Feb 13, 2009.

1. dx

dx General Contractor

Does anyone make a floor sump pump with a built-in water sensor?

I don't mean a regular sump pump float, I mean an internal sensor that can turn on when there is as little as 1/2" of water on the floor.

I know there are several separate sensor/alarms/relays you can buy, I need a pump that has it built in.
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

The Ridgid SSP-1000 would be one example.
  3. dx

dx General Contractor

Thanks Jimbo, but the Ridgid is not even close.

From Ridgid specs: Capacitive Water Sensor - Monitors sump levels and automatically turns pump on or off. On Level = 8" Off Level = 4"

I actually have the Ridgid in my own house as a sump pump and it's very nice, but not for a flood pump. I need one that can sense very close to the floor, 1/2" max.

Any other ones?
  4. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

Well, you said sump pump , and I missed the "floor part".

Wayne and FLotec both make pumps which pump down to probably in the neighborhood of 1/4". Check their websites to see what the actual turn on level is.

What area is this that 1/2" of water on the floor would be acceptable? Is an area where you could actually cut in a sump?
  5. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

many pumps don't like to run dry, and with only a 1/2" of water, there'd likely not be enough flow to the pump to prevent that...you might have trouble finding what you want. Finding a sensor is another story...lots of ways to sense low levels of water - with the right controls, you an switch anything.
  6. dx

dx General Contractor

Thanks Jimbo. Indeed Flotec makes a pump called "Intellipump" with built in sensing and they claim will turn on at 3/4" of water and turn off at 1/4". Not quite what I wanted but close enough to try.

Wayne makes a similar pump but it takes more water to operate.