Flood damage

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by jimbo, Sep 18, 2005.

1. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

For any who live or work or will be contracting in LA, AL, MS a big issue will be appliances and the electrical system.

NEMA ( National Electrical Appiance Manufacurers Association) and GAMA ( Gas Appliance Manufacturers Association) have both issued papers recommending how to deal with flood damage.

In a nutshell, for gas appliances (WH, range, furnaces) GAMA and most manufacturers themselves say any gas appliance which has been submerged MUST BE DISPOSED of. It should not be repaired. It will not be safe or reliable.

NEMA has the same basic recommendation. In the case of large commercial equipment ( switchboards, very large breakers, etc) they say that manufacturers can provide specific procedures for overhaul, including replacement of key corroded components, etc. For residential appliances, including the breaker panels and breakers, stoves, WH, etc. they say it should all be replaced.

This will be a huge problem in the affected area, because charlatans and unknowing DIY homeowners will be looking to cut corners and save a buck.
    I am glad that I am not down there having to duke it out with insurance companies who will also be trying to minimize costs.

For the next year, be very wary of any secondary market on appliances, water heaters, or automobiles. There are crooks out there who will be grabbing this stuff by the ton from the salvage operators down there, They will "hose them down", pretty them up a little, wash the title, and put them on the market.
  2. toolaholic

toolaholic General Contractor Carpenter

good message

move the whole place to lost wages in the desert

our tax money will build the same old honkey tonks, in the same swale
  3. dont forget cars

their will probably be a very large number
    of cars and trucks, literally millions of them
    that will also be on the car lots comming to a neighborhood
    near you real soon too,

and you are right, nothing like rebuilding a city in a
    sinkhole...
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

rebuilding

And how is that different than rebuilding on the side of a mountain after a mudslide, or in the middle of a forest after a fire, to name a couple of similarities?
  5. You might want to make this thread posting a sticky, that way it doesn't get lost in the shuffle as time moves forward. Very informative and a good precautionary statement. I can only imagine how busy **** will be with all that will come from there. :(
  6. Cal

Cal New Member

Anybody going down to volunteer some plumbing ?? Been thinking about taking a month and going to the area (somewhere). Problem is,,,i've had friends go to Fla. after "Andrew" saw them a week later and then said," You CANNOT leave your truck. The people will steal you blind and sell your stuff to the next guy." They slept in their van for 4-5 days then just came home.
    I am not going for that.
  7. 10 feet below sea level...and riseing

10 + feet below sea level with the water levels
    probably riseing all over the planet from now on........

that aint rebuilding its re-sinking....
    the whole delta has been shrinking over the years.

but something has got to be done
    only because the city is a vital shipping port...

its really only a mater of time before it does it again
    wether it be next year , or 50 years thats in gods hands.

The people in Washington are weighing their options.
    for the best way to get out of this mess.
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2005
  8. toolaholic

toolaholic General Contractor Carpenter

how is this different!

#1 look at the price tag for us tax payers

#2 it,s set 12 ft lower next to the countrys largest river and a 300 sq. mile lake.

#3the people you are trying to help are shooting at you!

if this was your next door neighbor, would you write a check for them?
  9. mrjetskey

mrjetskey New Member

Just because some of the people from NO.were acting horrible doesnt make the whole population bad.But it does hurt everyone who was affected ,who wants to help someone who is cursing our country and shooting at relief workers?
  10. Don't hold your breath, another one is coming

I guess we will all know what devastation is when next monday rolls around. They say that this newest hurricane will make landfall saturday in the morning hours. Texas, Mexico, or Louisiana again are the likely candidates of the approaching hurricane. I really hope people take this one seriously.