Floating wood floor and toilets

Users who are viewing this thread

stonefield

Reaction score
I plan to install a Kahrs floating wood floor in a area that includes a powder room. A plumber, noticing the samples spread on my floor, told me that a floating wood floor under a toilet was unsatisfactory, as the toilet would wobble and thus leak. I called the Kahrs manufacturer and spoke to several in Customer Service - none had heard of this problem.

Have any on this forum heard of wobbly toilets on floating wood floors?

Prashster

Reaction score
I've heard the same thing.
I am diy-ing a floating floor in my basement (Subflor) atop which I'm planning to put a toilet too. Just screw down the floating floor panels under the toilet so they no longer 'float'. Allow the rest of the floor to float.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
In a small room, it probably won't make a difference. If the room was big, you could cause buckling issues. Ensure you leave the prescribed expansion gap at the edges of the room. You using Linnea? or one of the thicker lines? If the thinner one, I'd consider putting the flange on the subfloor and not attaching the flange to the finished floor -it's just not that thick. The problem I see (potentially) is by screwing the flange down to the subfloor through the floating floor, you (might) could get the joint to distort.

I used Kahrs in my downstairs, but I tiled under the toilet, even though the rest of the 1/2 bath has the wood flooring. I used the same granite as I used on the vanity top, so it ties together.

Finnegan

Reaction score
Some people will tile under the toilet to avoid condensation from pooling on the wood. However, toilets are never secured to the finished flooring, only to the flange, so the floating floor should make no difference. I do not see how this would result in any wobble unless the toilet was not installed properly in the first place.

V

vaplumber

In a small room, it probably won't make a difference. If the room was big, you could cause buckling issues.

>>Good advice!

If the thinner one, I'd consider putting the flange on the subfloor and not attaching the flange to the finished floor -it's just not that thick. The problem I see (potentially) is by screwing the flange down to the subfloor through the floating floor, you (might) could get the joint to distort.

>>Use either a thicker wax ring (yes, these are available) or a ring with a cone!

jkmurphy

Reaction score
We've never had a problem

We installed a floating floor in our bathroom 3 years ago and have never had a problem, I would be more concerned about screwing down the floating floar, and possibly messing with its warranty, if the floor cant float it may have problems such as buckling.
When have moved our toilet several time since then for painting etc, and have had to use two wax rings smashed a little (the big one wasn't quite big enough) but that is it.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you use one o fthe waxless toilet seals, you get a little more flexibility since they have an extension piece that extends down into th edrain line. Fluidmaster makes one, and there are other manufacturers. I've used the Fluidmaster in my home on two toilets (both on tile).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks