Flickering Bulbs On Dimmer Switch

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by Kiko, Sep 3, 2009.

1. Kiko

Kiko New Member

I have a light fixture that takes 3 candelabra bulbs. They are 40 watt bulbs.
    They are controlled by a rotating dimmer switch, and the lower the voltage, the more these bulbs tend to flicker.

Is the dimmer defective, or are the bulbs not rated for this dimmer. And how can I tell what wattage bulbs are correct for this dimmer?
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

If you are using regular incandescent bulbs, that should not be a problem. If you have flourescent bulbs, that rotary dimmer will absolutely not work.
  3. Kiko

Kiko New Member

The bulbs are incandescent.
  4. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

OK. Nonetheless, the old rotary dimmers are the very simplest type of device, and I would say that unstable operation at a vey low setting is almost normal. I would say your first move is to simply replace the dimmer, and see what happens,
  5. Thatguy

Thatguy Homeowner

Last edited: Sep 4, 2009