Flexible sewer cap

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Ian Gills, Nov 12, 2007.

1. Ian Gills

Ian Gills Senior Robin Hood Guy

I hope this makes sense.

In my 1950s house I have a 1950s stub out for a toilet and vanity in the basement. The pipe is cast iron.

The vanity stub is properly capped. On the toilet stub the cap has been smashed off. Nothing leaks from this pipe and it does not smell but I would like to cap it off. Can I use a flexible cap, like a large Fernco, to do this?
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Yes...that should work fine.
  3. Ian Gills

Wow, that was quick. Thank you.

I wonder why it does not smell or leak sewage without a cap? Does that mean it is blocked? I hope to use it someday, albeit with some sort of PVC modification.
  4. Herk

Herk Plumber

Depends on which way the air is moving in the pipe - and of course it could be plugged. But methane is colorless, odorless, explosive and toxic. It doesn't have to smell.
  5. Ian Gills

Thanks Herk. Given what my wife said after I left the bathroom this morning, I can definitely rule out any production of methane from my good self.