Flexible ABS bath drain? WatcoFlex®

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by justinae, Feb 15, 2012.

1. justinae

justinae New Member

I've got a tub install that is going to make me take a pretty hefty notch out of a structural piece. I see that Watco has the flexible drain and overflow kits (http://www.wcmind.com/watco/PDFMainFrame.html), but they are in PCV only. My drains are ABS. Does anyone make an ABS version?

thanks.

[​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2012
  2. liquidplumber

liquidplumber In the Trades

Use the PVC drain and connect to the ABS with a no hub band coupling. totally legal, works just fine.
  3. justinae

justinae New Member

Ok. I'll just have to get a PVC trap and do it in the run after that. Will actually make the install even easier.

thanks!
  4. liquidplumber

liquidplumber In the Trades

If they have them in your area, they make a 4 clamp no hub band now ( insted of the old 2 clamp style) The 4 clamp is considerably better and worth the extra price. dont use a "fernco" use a no hub band.... 4 clamp style if you can get it
  5. justinae

justinae New Member

ok thanks. I'll look into them. Appreciate all the suggestions.
  6. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

You do not need a PVC trap. You can make the transition between the trap and the tub drain.
  7. Trailer Park

Trailer Park New Member

It says they sell them, some part numbers from the site:
    • 970/980/990 and 971/981/991 availablle in ABS and PVC

edit: I see this is the cable model only.
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  8. justinae

justinae New Member

http://www.wcmind.com/watco/PDFMainFrame.html

Do you mean use the clamp between the shoe and the san tee? My understanding was that the flexible portion was already welded to the PVC san tee. If not then I'll just use an ABS san tee and do as you suggest, but how does the green flexible piece weld to the ABS?

[​IMG]
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2012
  9. justinae

justinae New Member

Just got off the phone with Watco. The Flex900 comes pre welded to the PVC san tee so the transition would have to be below that. The do have an ABS option. It's their WatcoFlex®. You tell them the tub and they make it for you and you can choose PVC or ABS. This one is a direct drain.
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2012
  10. ballvalve

ballvalve General Engineering Contractor

I would guess that is your standard PVC spa flex tubing that has some green added to it. You can buy said tubing for about 1/4of the cost of theirs. Nice system, however.
  11. justinae

justinae New Member

Yeah I agree. I don't plumb every day but if I did I would think this would be a go to system for ease.
  12. Hackney plumbing

Hackney plumbing Homeowner

Anyone ever try to clean the tub drain through one of those? LOL They suck.
  13. ruscosi

ruscosi New Member

Actually, the direct drain makes it easier to clean the tub drain. You can snake directly through the drain with a smaller end on the snake. If you snake through the overflow, there is a edge/lip in the drain tee that directs the snake into the drain. It looks like it would be difficult to clean the drain but it is actually easier.
  14. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Using the small end of the snake means you do NOT do a proper job of unplugging the drain line.
  15. Tom Sawyer

Tom Sawyer In the Trades

I have used the Watco waste overflow many times without any problems. It is very hand to have when the framing is in the way. As for snaking the drain, I really can't see that snaking it would be any more of an issue that snaking any tub drain.