Flex 5600SXT Water Softener Control valve as a backwash valve?

Users who are viewing this thread

jeffw

Reaction score
Just wonder if Flex 5600SXT Water Softener Control valve can be used as a simple backwash valve?

Because I would like to replace an used water softener into a chemical free iron filter by changing the resin media.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
I think you mean Fleck 5600SXT.

Yes. Here is a starting point:
DF GAL
VT dF1b
CT tc
NT 1
DO* 3
RT* 3:40 AM
BW 10
BD 0
RR 5
BF 0

My iron+sulfur filter uses has a solution tank, so I have BD= 4 and RR=5. I suspect you want no BD, but if the brine line input were plugged, it would be a slow rince cycle if non-zero. I guess maybe RR (rapid rinse) could be reduced or made zero. I don't know about RR, but 5 would be OK. Somebody may have some improved settings for you.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
It can be prgrammed as a filter valve but it also has a limited backwash capability. We don't recommend much over 5-7 GPM so Filox, Pyrolox, KDF, Mangox etc are out.

jeffw

Reaction score
It can be prgrammed as a filter valve but it also has a limited backwash capability. We don't recommend much over 5-7 GPM so Filox, Pyrolox, KDF, Mangox etc are out.
Thanks. Could you elaborate more about it? Do anyone experience with Katalox-Light as iron filter media?

jeffw

Reaction score
My iron+sulfur filter uses has a solution tank.
Thanks for the inputs. I am thinking about using some type of cleaning solution such as iron out in the tank to manually clean the media once while as I don't think the simple chemical free backwash will clean resin/tank well. What do you think?

Reach4

Reaction score
Thanks for the inputs. I am thinking about using some type of cleaning solution such as iron out in the tank to manually clean the media once while as I don't think the simple chemical free backwash will clean resin/tank well. What do you think?
My system has a 15 gallon solution tank. I need to refill it with a bleach solution (gallon of 6% bleach and top off with water. It gets 12 regerations that are done every 3 days. I set a reminder to go off on my phone every 5 weeks. The bleach gets washed over the media, and gets rinsed away as part of the regeneration cycle. So yes, there is a cheap chemical involved in the regen, but it is not added to to the drinking water.

My Centaur Carbon unit has a 5 GPM DLFC. I think that corresponds to about 9.2 GPM/square-ft. I have 10x54 media tank. For Katalox Light, I am thinking I would want to go to an even larger 7 GPM DLFC. Figures of 8 to 10 GPM/square-ft are published as adequate for Katalox Light, although higher levels are probably better. We are looking forward to reading of any new test. My Centaur Carbon media is doing well so far. It was a really nice improvement to my well system. I think it leaves a little residual iron for the softener to handle. I think the Katalox Light will be worth considering at the end of my media life.

_John_

Reaction score
Thanks. Could you elaborate more about it? Do anyone experience with Katalox-Light as iron filter media?

Katalox works great, and you should get plenty of backwash water for up to a 10" tank by pulling the DLFC on that one.

ditttohead

Reaction score
Agree with John. Remove the DLFC button and use the umbrella top diffuser, not a top screen. Be sure to let the Katalox-light soak for a couple hours minimum before the first backwash to minimize media loss to the drain.

Katalox is rated for 10 GPM per ft2, but we find even better results with 12-15 gpm per ft2.

Last edited:

ditttohead

Reaction score
Iron reduction systems tend to clog the top screen so a diffuser is usually preferred. It is an umbrella looking piece that is glued onto the manifold, it enhances the diffusion of the water through the tank and allows the precipitated iron to more easily exit the system during backwash. It is also used on the Turbulator riser assembly.
upload_2015-6-11_14-34-59.png

Sorry for the horrible picture.

jeffw

Reaction score
Iron reduction systems tend to clog the top screen so a diffuser is usually preferred. It is an umbrella looking piece that is glued onto the manifold, it enhances the diffusion of the water through the tank and allows the precipitated iron to more easily exit the system during backwash. It is also used on the Turbulator riser assembly. View attachment 29523
A lot of interesting ideas!! I had a chemical free iron filter (birm media) working ok for a few months. Now, it is completely clogged I believed as the filtered water got worse. I just wonder where to purchase the "diffuser"?

ditttohead

Reaction score
I would be glad to ship you one for free, they are not an expensive item and they are hard to find.

What is clogged on your system?

jeffw

Reaction score
I
I would be glad to ship you one for free, they are not an expensive item and they are hard to find.

What is clogged on your system?
Thanks for the offer. I believe the dirty iron deposits clogged systems (media not washed well or control head) as the filtered water are much worse than unfiltered one.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks