Fleck 9100 Mechanical Timer

Users who are viewing this thread

HK in FL

Reaction score
Hi, I've enjoyed reading the rebuild posts for my model as I believe I am due a possible rebuild of the control valve assembly (not sure if you can tell from picture, but bottom piston assembly looks to be leaking as it's discolored). However, this post relates to the Mechanical Timer. I am trying to understand why the timer gets to the point of starting the regen cycle, but then doesn't. I have had to physically turn it clockwise to get it to kick on. Any help is appreciated. Thank you!
IMG_5125.JPG

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
The meter cable turns the large dial with 0-21 on it. When the trip arm (at number 3) reaches the large lower dial it pushes it off the "homing microswitch" which in turn sends power to the timer motor. This motor does not stop until the homing switch return to its original position (after the timer does a 360 rotation).

Common problems on this design are the stainless spring on top. If it does not put enough pressure on the small gear, the gears can skip and it will not reach the trip arm. The "spring" is not a traditional spring, it is the bent piece of metal on top of the timer just above the number 15. You can test this by removing the meter cable from the meter dome and turning the cable simulating water usage. It should reach the trip arm (#3 hits the large blackgear) and you should see the motor behind the timer door start.

This may sound complex but do it step by step and you can test the function of the mechanics of the meter/valve.

If the lower piston is leaking it is time to rebuild the valve.

HK in FL

Reaction score
Thanks much for the input! I did what you said and disconnected the cable from the meter dome and twisted it until it reached the trip arm, however, the force of the turning wasn't enough to click on the timer motor. It just clicked and the white portion of sprocket assembly that the meter cable attached to (shown in picture attached) just pushed itself up a little bit and clicks past it, not forcing engagement with the sprocket...of that makes sense. Like it's too much force required to push the lower motor into starting. Any ideas? The upper dial moves freely back and forth with the twist of the cable, but just doesn't have enough force to kick it off.

Attachments

• IMG_5180.JPG
    IMG_5180.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 247

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
The metal spring is supposed to keep enough force on the gear to allow engagement of the timer motor by pushing the dial off the "homing" micro-switch. The meter cable gears have a clutch inside of them that is susceptible to wear but this is very rare. This is not a part that I see replaced often, especially residentially. Primarily commercially under extremely heavy use.
It may be time to replace the timer on your unit. You may want to consider replacing the whole valve depending on the age and how mechanically inclined you are and your budget..

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks