Fleck 5600sxt regen times

Users who are viewing this thread

Brian McNally

Reaction score
Hi,finally got my new softener installed but I believe the regen. cycle step times are off. The water in the brine tank is about 9 inches above the 1 bag of salt I put in. It's a 40,000 grain softener, we have 3 people in the house. Hardness is 9.5. Currently the brine draw is 60, BF is 12, BW is 10 and RR is 10 mins. It came with the capacity set to 23,000. I guess the on line sellers don't configure it. I also opted for ResinTech CG10 10% if that makes any difference

Last edited:

Bannerman

Reaction score
At 40K grains total capacity, your softener will contain 1.25 cuft of resin.

A very salt efficient setting would utilize 7.5 lbs of salt to regenerate 25,000 grains of usable capacity. Assuming your BLFC is 0.5 gpm (should be specified on a label located near the brine line fitting), to dissolve 7.5 lbs would require BF = 5 minutes.

For higher usable capacity, you could use a slightly less efficient setting of 10 lbs of salt to regenerate 30K grains. This would require BF = 7 minutes.

Estimating your water usage at 60 gallons/person/day = 180 gal/day X 10 gpg hardness (assuming no iron) = 1,800 grains/day needed.

A softener with a usable capacity of 25 K grains / 1,800 = 13 days estimated between regeneration cycles.
A softener with a usable capacity of 30 K grains / 1,800 = 16 days estimated between regeneration cycles.

The other settings are typical and are usually appropriate for most installations.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
This is one possible programming setup, making some assumptions including city water and no iron:

System info (not programmed)
salt lb/cuft = 6 ; A choice ( efficiency vs capacity)
BLFC = 0.5 ; Brine Refill rate GPM
cubic ft resin = 1.25 ; ft3 resin = (nominal grains)/32,000
Raw hardness = 10 ; including any compensation
People = 3 ; gallons affects reserve calc
Estimated gal/day = 180 ; 60 gal per person typical calc
Estimated days/regen = 13.9 ; Computed days ignoring reserve
Fleck 5600SXT Settings:
DF = Gal ; Units
VT = dF1b ; Downflw/Upflw, Single Backwash
CT = Fd ; Meter Delayed regen trigger
NT = 1 ; Number of tanks
C = 25.0 ; capacity in 1000 grains
H = 10 ; Hardness-- compensate if needed
RS = rc ; rc says use gallons vs percent
RC = 180 ; Reserve capacity gallons
DO = 28 ; Day Override
RT = 2:00 ; Regen time (default 2 AM)
BW = 5 ; Backwash (minutes)
Bd = 60 ; Brine draw minutes
RR = 5 ; Rapid Rinse minutes
BF = 5 ; Brine fill minutes
FM = usually t0.7 ; flow meter, make note of what is there

Brian McNally

Reaction score
Thank you. Is it ok to let it go 28 days ? Yes the BLFC is .5. It's a community well system. They have 4 wells and are required to do yearly testing. One well is 4 grains hardness, two are 6.? and one is 9.7 . the iron in one is .oo2. I've called a few different times and it hasn"t changed in 4 years. I went with 10 just because. I think when I had my first system from Culligan 25 years ago the guy said the hardness was 12. They didn't have the 4G well at that time.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
t's a community well system. They have 4 wells and are required to do yearly testing. One well is 4 grains hardness, two are 6.? and one is 9.7 . the iron in one is .oo2.
I presume the water department/company chlorinates the water. That should take out the iron. So 28 days should be fine.

You could get a Hach 5-b hardness test to test the hardness yourself and to test the softened water.
The water in the brine tank is about 9 inches above the 1 bag of salt I put in. It's a 40,000 grain softener, we have 3 people in the house.
That sounds like a lot of water for even 6 gallons.

Brian McNally

Reaction score
The water level was what got my attention. I'll run a cycle today with the new settings and see where it sits. I found the test kit online last night, ordering today.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach4

Reaction score
The water level was what got my attention. I'll run a cycle today with the new settings and see where it sits. I found the test kit online last night, ordering today.
Is the water high enough that it is pushing up the float? That would tend to indicate that the brine is not being successfully drawn.

For an 18 inch round tank, every inch above the salt represents 1.1 gallons. If 18 inches square, every inch represents 1.4 gallons.Your recipe calls for 9.5 gallons. There is also some water below the level of the salt.

You could watch during the cycle to see how far down the water gets down to during brine draw. If the brine does not get drawn down, there can be an air leak or other problem stopping the brine from being drawn out. The brine should get down to the top of the air check valve in the bottom of the brine tank.

If the brine gets drawn out, but the refill is too much, that could maybe be a missing BLFC button.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks