Fleck 5600 vs 7000

Users who are viewing this thread

BigVerl

Reaction score
My home has a 1" water main outside, but when it enters the home it's reduced to 3/4"

I've been wanting to replace my manual backwashing gac filter valve with an automatic one. My question is should I go with a 7000 valve or stick with a 5600 since the home is only 3/4?

BigVerl

Reaction score
Thanks for the links.

Specifically, would there be any benefit pressure or flow wise with the 7000 if my house is only 3/4?

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Technically yes, realistically, probably not. Either valve will do you fine. Be aware, the 5600 should not be used for backwash applications above 7 gpm. I try to use the 7000 if the system is going to need 5 or more gpm for the backwash. The 7000 can exceed 20+ GPM for backwashing, assuming you have that much water available. What size is your GAC tank?

ditttohead

Reaction score
Specifications rate the 5600 at a 10" diameter tank max for backwash system, assuming a 10 GPM per ft2. So... 5x5x3.14/144x10=5.45 gallons backwash max. the 7000 can accommodate up to a 24" tank at 10 gpm per ft2. 12x12x3.14/144x10=30 gpm max backwash rate. The 7000 is an amazing valve for backwashing.

ditttohead

Reaction score
you are looking at the backwash rate of a standard softener piston, the 7000 filter piston has a 30 gpm backwash capability.

12x40 GAC, the common one used in water treatment has a 10 gpm per ft2 backwash rate. you were looking at the service rate, not the backwash rate. Service flow is the recommended flow rate for proper contaminant reduction. A lot more goes into it than a simple chart can explain. Specific contaminants, ..... too much to type.... but you get the point.

Reach4

Reaction score
Why would such a squat tank be common? Lower backpressure? I would think that a taller tank would make better use of floor space.

ditttohead

Reaction score
12x40 is the GAC mesh size, not the tank size. Different GAC mesh sizes require significantly different backwash rates.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks