Fleck 2510SXT / Fleck 5600SXT or Fleck 7000SXT

Users who are viewing this thread

JImmy

Reaction score
Hello,

I had my water tested and my results are below. There are four people in my family. The water is acidic, there is sediment from my well and fortunately, there is no bacteria in my well. I also did a test on Radon in my well and the results showed there was a level of 1,952 pCi/L (EPA recommends Radon levels in water be under 4,000 pCi/L) - I am taking measures to reduce this level anyway by installing a carbon filtration tank filled with granular activated carbon and a backwashing control on top.

Water Analysis report:
pH 5.3
Iron 1.0
Hardness 2
Sulphur 0
Mang yes
TDS 173

I just wanted to get a second opinion from my water testing. The company who tested the water is suggesting removal of sediment, acid, iron, hardness, manganese: 20" BB filter, 12x52 fleck 2510, acid neutralizer & 45,000 grain fleck 2510 meter water softener.

I've read good things about the Fleck 5600STX and have also heard that the Fleck 7000STX is also a good option. My question is which system is the best fit for my house. Any recommendations would be welcome.

Bannerman

Reaction score
The 5600 is a great reliable valve but it is somewhat restricted in flow and so is only appropriate for softener applications with a maximum 12" diameter tank (2 cubic foot media) or media filters with a 10" diameter tank (1.5 cuft media).

The 2510 is appropriate for either softeners or filters utilizing up to 16" diameter tanks whereas the 7000 for 8"- 24" diameter tanks.

The price for the 7000 lately has become competitive with the 5600 so you may want to compare pricing between 2510SXT and 7000SXT systems as either valve & controller will fulfill your requirements. Utilizing a consistent valve and controller for each treatment device will simplify programming for you and parts requirements when they are eventually needed.

You state a recommendation to remove sediment, iron and manganese, but you didn't specify the amount of manganese or the media that was recommended. Although your iron level is not excessive, depending on the amount of manganese, you may wish to consider Katalox Light for iron and manganese reduction, and K-L is also an effective sediment filtration media. K-L does not need as high a backwash flow requirement compared to many other iron removal medias.

Currently, your 2 grains hardness does not justify a softener but the hardness will likely increase upon raising the low pH condition.

JImmy

Reaction score
Thank you Bannerman. Unfortunately, next to the manganese all that is written in is, "Yes". The document doesn't specify what the ppm is. Am I mistaken to think the 7000 is a newer model? The company that did the water testing suggested staying away from the 7000 - but from reading other forums it seems like the 7000 problems / issues have been resolved and people are back to installing the 7000. I will follow up with the water company and see what they think about adding the Katalox Light. (I will also try to find out what the "YES" means in terms of the ppm.)

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
The 2510 has its own unique problems but otherwise is an excellent valve. I would chose it over the 5600SXT any day. The 7000 is the preferred valve. It had some issues years ago but these have been completely resolved.

JImmy

Reaction score
Thank you for the feedback Diddohead. I heard back from my water company and they didn't have the ppm test results for manganese. Their test just tests to see if manganese is in the water, hence the "yes" on my document. I'm leaning towards the 7000SXT, but just wondering have any of you guys heard anything about the new KL1000?

JImmy

Reaction score
Follow up: I asked my water company to install the Fleck 7000SXT per the above recommendations and this was what I received:

"We have installed and serviced the Fleck line of Controls for 25 years. In early 2015, we took the 7000 Control off our product line due to repeated problems over several years. We do sell the 2510 SXT and are very happy.When you spoke with installers of 7000; what problems did they describe to you? Were these problems resolved by ordering replacement parts ? Are you prepared to pay for replacement parts for the 7000 – during the warranty period ?"

Seems a bit aggressive. But, I think there are some good points. Should I be concerned?

Bannerman

Reaction score
Dittohead stated:
It had some issues years ago but these have been completely resolved.
The earlier issues were recognized by Fleck and were since fixed.

The water equipment supplier's response is uncalled for. If he had issues with the valve, he should have justified his reasons for not recommending that valve as opposed to whining and asking you a bunch of questions. He may have initially purchased a stock of (1st gen -problematic) valves and after the first few issues, he didn't promote them. In any event, if a valve's components are defective during the warranty period, that is a warranty matter for the manufacturer.

Suggest choosing an alternate water treatment professional.

WellOff

Reaction score
Just a data point from an end user- I have had the Flex 7000SXT going on three years now. I have had ZERO issues with it. It was just worked w/o any interruptions (other than my optimizing settings and changing out the filter bed [once]). I estimate that it's probably seen close to 100,000 gallons of water run through it.

Reach4

Reaction score
I have had the Flex 7000SXT going on three years now. I have had ZERO issues with it. It was just worked w/o any interruptions (other than my optimizing settings and changing out the filter bed [once]).

You changed out what? The media? Gravel? or what? 100,000 gallons is not much for resin.

Reach4

Reaction score
I remember now. I was thinking you were talking softener on this thread.

ditttohead

Reaction score
My old 7000SE (upgraded to XTR for no good reason...) is going on well over 1 million gallons and well over 10 years. I will be replacing it with a prototype valve we are working on in the near future, but no rush. I tore the valve apart, the seals are showing some wear, but I want to see how long it will go. :)

Phonedude

Reaction score
What problems have you noticed with the 2500? I have had one for 6 years problem free, I recently had a new well put in and was going to increase the tank size (my hardness tripled) and keep the 2500 (mechanical metered version) should I rethink this strategy.

Last edited:

ditttohead

Reaction score
The 2500, no problem at all other than no integrated bypass and a few brass bodies that corroded out over time.

Maybe you meant the 2510? If so , the neck o-ring retainer has been the major problem. I have seen many of these fail over the years. A few broken valve bodies at the drain connection (not a valve problem, user error), other than that, the valve is good.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks