Flat Vent

Users who are viewing this thread

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
Your so-called "flat vents" are used routinely where I live. I think your concerns about these vents becoming obstructed are
a little far-fetched. I've demo'd plenty of those vents, some of them a century or more old, and never seen the slightest
sign of blockage. I've never even heard of such a thing happening.

Let me ask you this: referring to the drawing in the original post, suppose this is a new w.c. in a 2nd floor bathroom
remodel. The wall is where it is, the waste stack is 15 feet away and has been for the last 50 years, there are no fixtures
nearby that can reasonably be made to drain thru that vent. This kind of thing is typical in remodeling scenarios. What
else can be done except using a flat vent?

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
I am not going to continue this discussion because it is obvious that you do not possess the prerequisite knowledge to support a logical argument.

Last edited:

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
But is is very educational Tom. I've learned a lot in these forums. Not ready to buy a can of crackspackle though. I'm much too old to go to school for plumbing and be an apprentice. I'll never know what a plumber should know, but I've seen some plumbing work (not mine) that you'd vomit at.

You have explained things pretty clearly. Not everybody seems to agree with you, but you make your point very well.
Thanks for the info you provide. I do appreciate it.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
You have to qualify that Bob. Knowledgable plumbers agree with me but some will argue because they do not have a solid understanding of the DWV system. Unfortunatly there is a lot of misinformation and misconception running rampent. I can go around and around here but there is no point in discussing or arguing with someone that does not come to the table with sufficient knowledge. I teach plumbing recertification seminars to about a hundred licensed plumbers a year, both masters and journeymen. Some of these guys have been plumbing longer than I have and they still misread the code and do not understand basic DVW. They have been doing it that way for so long that they are convinced that they are doing it right. Practice does not always make perfect. Quite often it makes perminant.

If everybody agreed with me I'd have a whole lot more money in the bank.

Last edited:

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Tom, its the same in every industry, including the one I am in. That's why my company has kept me for 30 years and dumped many, many guys over all those years. And its not only knowing your stuff, its caring about doing it right.

Yersmay

Writing, constructionDIY Member
Reaction score
question

Tom,

I post this in the spirit of continuing education and not meaning in any way to fan flames. Could you take another look at Plumber 2011's post #6? Isn't that flat vent washed by BOTH the tub AND the sink? If I understand you correctly, if a flat vent is FULLY washed -- with no length of it left dry -- it is no longer a flat vent because it qualifies as a wet vent. Am I on to clarification here or have I completely misunderstood? Thanks in advance!

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score

Little Ed

Reaction score
Speaking of flat venting... I have a situation where conventional stack venting through the roof is not a good option. I can. however. go through the outside wall, a few inches below the roof top. Not sure if to leave the outside end horizontal or to tie an elbow at the end and take it up above the roof line. Code is not an issue where this thing is. Appreciate any thoughts on this.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
IF you leave it horizontal, when the wind is blowing from the right direction, it will "pressurize" the drainage system, (i found that exact situation in a friend's house when it was remodeled). When it is vertical, the wind will create a slight suction, like blowing air across the top of a soda bottle.

Pkin

Reaction score
Tom,

Thanks for this post. I have exactly the problem depicted in your original drawing and I was hoping to do it the way the drawing shows, but now I am going to figure something else out.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks