flat ceiling or something else

Users who are viewing this thread

vvmvvm

Reaction score
I have the apartment in 15 floor building 1975 year build. It has pop corn. I hate it and want to remove. Main problem is that texture was applied on the concrete slab (no drywall). Builder used plywood to form the slab and was not accurate enough (plywood prints on the slab have height drops up to 1 inch and filled with pop corn like substance).
Talking with my neighbors who removed popcorn I found out:
a. This is really hard work (if You do it yourself) or expensive (if hire somebody)
b. It messy work and best way is to remove all furniture from the rooms
c. The regular wet/dry pop corn scrapping with regular skin-coat plastering is not enough to hide height drops.
d. may be I'm crazy but I could not find really perfect result (Every time I could find couple places with not perfect flat surface . Be sure I did not used microscope to find them) Windows in our building go up to the ceiling, and flat light parallel to the ceiling shows all level irregulars.

They gave me two ideas:
- To install drywall (It is require to install framing and drop the ceiling about 2 1/2"). This is well known way
- To install stretch ceiling.

Contractor who suggested the last way was very talkative about stretch ceiling advantages. Pictures he show me were very nice but...

Did somebody have stretch ceiling in Your house and what do you think about this? Or may by somebody could suggest another way to eliminate my pop corn?
Thank You

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There's more than one way to apply the popcorn. I removed it all from the ceiling on my first floor. It was relatively easy. The stuff became soft when sprayed with plain water, and then it just scraped off like it was putty. If it has been painted over, that certainly won't work!

If there are any plasterers in the area, some of them are true artists, and can make a funky ceiling look glass flat and smooth.

No idea what a stretch ceiling is...can you elaborate?

Reach4

Reaction score
Based on your post, I searched "stretch ceiling". Interesting. The idea of a shiny ceiling is novel, but I guess it would come in matte too.

I would suggest asking to see a prior result in person with your contractor if you consider this.

I don't know why you could not put 3/8 thick drywall on the ceiling without adding that much thickness. Wouldn't 1 inch or 3/4 inch furring strips give enough to screw into?

vvmvvm

Reaction score
Based on your post, I searched "stretch ceiling". Interesting. The idea of a shiny ceiling is novel, but I guess it would come in matte too.

I would suggest asking to see a prior result in person with your contractor if you consider this.

I don't know why you could not put 3/8 thick drywall on the ceiling without adding that much thickness. Wouldn't 1 inch or 3/4 inch furring strips give enough to screw into?

Florida building code prohibit use of any wood behind drywall in multifamily buildings. So 1 5/8 metal stud + 1/2 drywall and up to 1" space to level slab height drops left by builder. :((

ceiling foil comes in gloss, matte and satin in different colors. Manufacture gives 10 year warranty on foil. I saw couple commercial properties , finished with stretch ceiling. They looks grate, similar to pictures You can find in internet.

But at home... I am looking for somebody who have it in his house and what he could say based on his own experience.

DMF2007

Reaction score
Help me with this research please

Hey,
I am working on a research about people's motivations for do-it-yourself wood projects. Please, could you participate in this short survey? Thank you!
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/QXQZBZ6

I have the apartment in 15 floor building 1975 year build. It has pop corn. I hate it and want to remove. Main problem is that texture was applied on the concrete slab (no drywall). Builder used plywood to form the slab and was not accurate enough (plywood prints on the slab have height drops up to 1 inch and filled with pop corn like substance).
Talking with my neighbors who removed popcorn I found out:
a. This is really hard work (if You do it yourself) or expensive (if hire somebody)
b. It messy work and best way is to remove all furniture from the rooms
c. The regular wet/dry pop corn scrapping with regular skin-coat plastering is not enough to hide height drops.
d. may be I'm crazy but I could not find really perfect result (Every time I could find couple places with not perfect flat surface . Be sure I did not used microscope to find them) Windows in our building go up to the ceiling, and flat light parallel to the ceiling shows all level irregulars.

They gave me two ideas:
- To install drywall (It is require to install framing and drop the ceiling about 2 1/2"). This is well known way
- To install stretch ceiling.

Contractor who suggested the last way was very talkative about stretch ceiling advantages. Pictures he show me were very nice but...

Did somebody have stretch ceiling in Your house and what do you think about this? Or may by somebody could suggest another way to eliminate my pop corn?
Thank You

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You do realize, don't you, that a 1975 popcorn ceiling probably has asbestos in it. If so, you cannot 'legally' just wet it down and scrape it off. If the concrete ceiling has "jogs" of up to 1", then you could not just glue sheetrock over it and expect to have a "smooth/level" ceiling.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Good point HJ. I was just about to say the same thing.

Often it is easier and safer to just cover the ceiling with a new layer of 1/2" drywall. If you are doing lots of electrical changes get a sample tested. Then bring in the pros to remove it.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You can get a test kit and have it tested for asbestos for about $15...might be worth it. Takes about a week to get the results after you mail it in. I've bought them at Ace Hardware, but I'm sure you can get them other places as well.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks