Flapper Problem

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by Lowell, May 24, 2005.

1. Lowell

Lowell New Member

I have problem with Flapper sticking in UP position. This started all of sudden without any adjustments being made to toilet tank (American Standard). I checked and both little tabs/prongs are in correct position. I have taken all the slack out of chain to handle and nothing seems to make any difference. Flapper is sticking in UP position when flushed and I can barely touch the handle and Flapper drops down and tank fills normally, otherwise water just continues to run.
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

flapper

The flapper will not stay up by itself, so you have to determine what it is sticking on, possibly the black float ball.
  3. Lowell

Lowell New Member

Thanks for your advice. However, there isn't any obstruction. No float ball since there is a fluidmaster fill valve installed. I don't understand it but the flapper does stick in the up position.
  4. Though not terribly common, there could be calcium build-up on some part of the flapper or even on the flush valve tube that's causing the flapper to hang.

Considering that flappers are as inexpensive as they are, I would try replacing it. Unless you have one of the newer 3-inch+ flush valves, the red Fluidmaster flappers are great. There is even an adjustable one if you have a 1.5 gallon toilet. But also feel around and visually inspect for any blatent abnormalities.

Another possibility is that your flush lever is hanging in the "up" position, thus keeping the flapper open.
  5. Lowell

Lowell New Member

DC. Thanks for your help. Purchased Fluidmaster Red Flapper. Works great!
  6. Flappers may look O.K., but when they stop functioning as intended, the rubber has gotten weak, and they just need to be replaced.
    Mike