flapper flipping shut

Users who are viewing this thread

Molo

Reaction score
Problem: The flapper flips shut too quickly in the toilet tank. The chain on the handle pulls it all the way open, but then after a few seconds the flapper drops down and closes not allowing enough water out of the tank for a flush. Any ideas anyone?

Thanks in Advance,
Molo

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Not sure what brand of toilet it is but if the flapper is installed right and the handle is lifting it up high enough then I would guess you may have the wrong flapper for that toilet. What brand is it?

Molo

Reaction score
flapper brand

I installed a brand new fluidmaster flush valve with flapper. Like I said it opens fine, just shuts too quickly.

Thanks,
Molo

Molo

Reaction score
toilet brand

Not sure, 3 bolts in the tank, the new flush valve with tank/bowl gasket went on fine and everything went back together fine. Coule it be a toilet problem or a flush handle problem?

Thanks,
Molo

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
A lot of those fluidmaster flushvalve kits have adjustable flappers. Look at the directions for how to adjust it to stay open longer.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
You need to try and find out the brand. Some toilets like Kohler won't work right with a standard flapper. Some flappers have a small piece of styrofoam in them to keep them up longer. Try and look for a brand stamp in the tank or commonly on the bowl between seat and tank or maybe in the lid.

Molo

Reaction score
ill check brand

It is adjustable, and I'll mess with that, I'll also check brand and get back tomorrow.

Thanks for the help,
Molo

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
flapper

If you did like a lot of people do, you installed the flapper by sliding it down the overflow pipe and then hooked the two pins into the holes. Take if out, cut off the circle that goes over the overflow, (there are two lines at the side that say "cut here"), and just use the two holes.

Molo

Reaction score
Fixed it

The flapper need adjustment. I spun the adjustment ring completely to the opposite side and it works now!

Thanks for the help,
Molo

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks