Flapper Chain driving me insane

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by Gouranga, May 11, 2006.

1. Gouranga

Gouranga Software Engineer

Alright, this is simple but it is not. I have a toilet that is driving me insane. It did this with the original parts, continutes to do it with the replacement kit. What happens is about 50% of the time when this thing flushes, the plastic chain that runs from the arm to the top of the flapper gets twisted, or stuck on the top of the little float on top of the flapper and the flapper does not fall all the way down to seal after a flush. So yo uend up having to wiggle the handle until the chain unbinds and the flapper falls down so the tank can refill. I have gone through 3 chains hoping and praying this will stop. No luck. This is so simple yet for some reason an obvious solution has not presented itself. So I ask you short of blasting this thing with my 12 gauge, anyone have any solutions for this one?
  2. Cass

Cass Plumber

B4 we start what Brand and Model is the toilet. That may help us a lot.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

chain

I have never seen it happen, so I am not sure how to prevent it, other than use a flapper without a float.
  4. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

First thing to do if you haven't already is adjust the length of the chain so there is the bare minimum of slack and see if that helps any. Sometimes, the arm has more than one hole in it to attach the chain, try one of the other ones to see if that helps.

A real kludge might be to replace the chain with some heavy duty fishing line.
  5. plumber1

plumber1 Plumber

To add to what Jim said, If the handle arm is metal sometimes you can bend the handles arm away from the flapper so the chain doesn't catch itself.

Or maybe you should replace the flapper with a Korkey flapper and take up the slack......also maybe replace the plastic handle with one that has a bendable arm.....so it could be adjusted......
  6. Gouranga

It is a gerber brand not sure of the model. Actually, that fishing line sounds awesome. Should hold up in the water, and should never do what this chain is doing. Maybe I will give that a try.
  7. Gouranga

Hey jadnashua, thought you would happy to know.This has worked awesome for my toilet, after I told some folks about it, right now 3 people at work and my grandfather all have 20 lbs test, tripled over in their toilets which apparently were doing the exact same thing. As I thought, the solution would be so simple, I would never think of it.
  8. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Glad it worked out:D