Flange/wax ring advice

Users who are viewing this thread

T_Finan

Reaction score
Based on what I've read here, this may be a leaded connection to cast iron. So I don't think I should fool around with the current rusted but solid flange ring, even though it is bent in the left rear.

I believe I have seen it mentioned that a leaded connection the only time some would use the wax ring with the plastic horn/ring included. Optionally since it is a low flange, the use of two wax rings may be in order.

Any other suggestions/recommendations/comments?

Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_3484.JPG
    IMG_3484.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 479
  • IMG_3485.JPG
    IMG_3485.JPG
    62 KB · Views: 465

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't think you saw any regulars on this forum recommend the use of a wax ring with the plastic horn. If that was my flange, I replace it, and if it is cast iron plumbing, I'd have a plumber install it because as a DIYer, molten lead and oakum is well above my ability. Why put a new toilet that should last for many years to come on a rusted and bent flange that wasn't properly installed in the first place?

T_Finan

Reaction score
Thanks, that was my feeling (have a plumber replace) when I saw it. But I haven't seen as many of these as others so maybe they all look like that?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Have the plumber install a stainless steel flange. It will cost a bit more, but will never rust out. The flange will set on top of the finished floor, and I'd use #12 stainless steel screws to anchor the flange through the finished floor and into the sub floor. Brass is too weak and can easily snap off.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks