Flange/wax ring advice

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by T_Finan, Dec 2, 2008.

1. T_Finan

T_Finan New Member

Based on what I've read here, this may be a leaded connection to cast iron. So I don't think I should fool around with the current rusted but solid flange ring, even though it is bent in the left rear.

I believe I have seen it mentioned that a leaded connection the only time some would use the wax ring with the plastic horn/ring included. Optionally since it is a low flange, the use of two wax rings may be in order.

Any other suggestions/recommendations/comments?

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

I don't think you saw any regulars on this forum recommend the use of a wax ring with the plastic horn. If that was my flange, I replace it, and if it is cast iron plumbing, I'd have a plumber install it because as a DIYer, molten lead and oakum is well above my ability. Why put a new toilet that should last for many years to come on a rusted and bent flange that wasn't properly installed in the first place?

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. T_Finan

T_Finan New Member

Thanks, that was my feeling (have a plumber replace) when I saw it. But I haven't seen as many of these as others so maybe they all look like that?

5. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

Have the plumber install a stainless steel flange. It will cost a bit more, but will never rust out. The flange will set on top of the finished floor, and I'd use #12 stainless steel screws to anchor the flange through the finished floor and into the sub floor. Brass is too weak and can easily snap off.