Flange Too High

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by T27, Jan 13, 2005.

1. T27

T27 New Member

I just started to install a new Drake at the end of a bathroom remodel. The flange is too high and I have a 1/4 inch under the toilet to shim. Everything was ok until I replaced the old tile floor with hardwood and the floor level dropped by a 1/2 inch or so. The drainpipes are copper. I can get at the drain from below if absolutely necessary. I really don't want to fill the gap with caulk.

From previous posts, I'd think I should sweat off the old flange, cut the drain pipe off a bit and install a new flange.

Sounds simple. What should I watch out for?
  2. Plumber2000

Plumber2000 Plumber

If your going to add a new flange don't worry about unsweating the pipe, cut the pipe below, and new pipe elbow and flange, should be simple.
  3. T27

T27 New Member

Thanks for the reply. If I go in from below, I'll end up with a sheetrock repair. That"s my last resort

I'm still leaning towards sweat and cut. Is there any chance that the flange is glued or threaded on?
  4. Plumber2000

Plumber2000 Plumber

Nope it is sweated on, sorry to tell you that, other option is to set toilet on a 1/4" platform.

I'd not want to try a unsweat that flange, you can start a fire, it will take too much heat, and to do it that way, you will need access to below anyways.
  5. themillhousefactor

themillhousefactor New Member

flange too high, part II

so, would you replace the flange if it happened to be cast iron (instead of copper)? same thing happend to us. i'd hate to go thru the time/expense of taking out the cast iron flange to drop the toilet 1/4". An suggestions? thanks
  6. Plumber2000

Plumber2000 Plumber

If it was me, I'd install a new flange from below.
  7. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

flange

Flanges always install from above the floor. You should be able to unsweat the brass flange by heating the interior of the pipe and then lower it. A cast iron flange is the easiest to lower because you can break it off and install a new one in a matter of minutes.
  8. Plumber2000

Plumber2000 Plumber

Good luck and careful with the torch. Fire can burn down the house, keep fire extinguisher on hand and or water on the ready.