Flange problem

Users who are viewing this thread

denise_b337

Reaction score
Don't laugh- my husband won't ask for help. In our basement bathroom, we are in the process of replacing the toilet, and when we removed the old broken flange, we discovered that it wasn't attached to the floor- explained the toilet moving- it was only tightened inside the drain pipe with toggle bolts. The other 2 toilets in our house have flanges attached to floor. Anyways, we would drill through the ceramic tile and cement and attach the flange, but for a few inches around the drain pipe, there is only dirt- no cement. So, no matter which holes in the flange we would drill through, there would be nothing to attach to.
We tried bonding the flange to the floor with several kinds of adhesive, but they always end up coming loose when bolting the toilet down. We can try to just attach the flange to the pipe with the bolts and gasket again, but we will still have a toilet that moves when you sit on it. Any ideas?? denise

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
Are you talking pvc or cast iron?

Your supposed to connect the flange to the pipe.............

denise_b337

Reaction score
plumber1 said:
Are you talking pvc or cast iron?

Your supposed to connect the flange to the pipe.............

The pipe is cast iron, the flange is PVC. I understand connecting the flange to the pipe, but thought you were also supposed to connect to floor?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I wonder why the old PVC flange broke? Could it be because it wasn't setting on and attached to a solid base (floor)? The flange does attach to the drain pipe, but it is not intended that this joint provide the total support for the toilet. I suggest you look into pouring concrete so there is a solid floor for the flange to rest on and be anchored into. Then get a flange that is designed to attach to cast iron.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
flange

Lead a cast iron flange on to the cast iron pipe.....

You don't need to screw the cast iron flange to anything........

I think any other way is Micky Mouse......

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
flange

You cannot connect a PVC or ABS flange to a cast iron pipe, unless it is a compression style that uses a gasket. Install a proper cast iron flange, and you will not have to fasten it to the floor.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks