flange issues

Users who are viewing this thread

admatt

Reaction score
Hello out there!
I am retiling and am down to my subfloor. The existing toilet flange is not mounted to anything but the three inch sewer pipe. A square hole was cut into the subfloor and the flange was brilliantly lined up so that there is nowhere for the screws to go in. Someone dropped some long nails into the four holes but they grab nothing. The flange is also crooked by about a 1/4 inch variance. There is a wee bit of play in the flange and pipe. I am hoping to not have to cut out and replace the subflooring! Could I use the extra slots that the closet flange bolts would fit in? The long square slots in the front and back of the flange which are not being used to bolt the toilet down ? What about the fact that the flange is not level? Any fixes out there?
Many thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 169
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 207

Reach4

Reaction score
Yes, you could use the unused slots for hold-down screws.

If you have access to the underside, you could maybe use a bolt with a fender washer and nut under the subfloor. You could alternatively put a piece of wood underneath and screw into that with longer screws.

Not level-- put shims under the screw holes that you use to fill any gap between the subfloor and the flange. Then when you screw down, the shims take the compression load. I presume the tile will raise the floor surface enough that the toilet will not hit the high spot. Use an extra big wax ring or 2 rings to fill the top gap.

admatt

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response! I cannot access the underside so I will use those slots for the screws.

The backerboard and tile will come up precisely under the high side of the flange, but both will not fit under the low side. I have seen various recommendations regarding whether the flange should rest on top of the finished floor or not. How about if it rests on the finished floor on one side and just the backerboard on the other? Hmm - another issue. I love home projects because I learn so much. I definitely do not want to get in over my head though. Oh wait. Subfloor under flange, shim other side, no tile under flange at all? So toilet sits on tile but flange sits on shims and backerboard?

Thanks for any other help!!!

Reach4

Reaction score
"Subfloor under flange, shim other side, no tile under flange at all? So toilet sits on tile but flange sits on shims and backerboard?"

Tile under flange is better, but unless you could get that flange off, that is not an available option for you.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I would try to get the backer board under the flange, but use care as the plastic flanges are known to break.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Consider leaving the flange where it is; drill through the plastic and run drywall screws wherever you can hit wood. Or run screws down through the slots using a fender washer to span the slot. Not being flat to the world, having the flange below the floor and using two wax rings would nullify any concern over the tilt. Having it on top of the backer board or the tile and it being unlevel could be more of a problem.
Who's the Bolshevic in the picture. That you?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks