flange height

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by farrington, Apr 20, 2006.

1. farrington

farrington New Member

I installed a 1/2" closet flange extender which puts me 1/8" shy above finished floor. More like 3/32". I thought that was ok. Just by chance i was flipping through a plumbing book and read flanges should be 1/2" minimum above finished floor. I wouldn't sweat this but there is a ceiling fan below the bathroom very close to the toilet drain and water leaking could be a real problem. I know too high isn't good either. The toilet is a basic american standard. I'm not sure if I should add another extender to bring it to 1/2". any ideas?? thanks
  2. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

I believe you should either re-read the book or check another book. Flanges are supposed to rest on top of (not above) the finished floor. A wax ring will likely seal just fine with the flange just 3/32" lower than the floor as long as it is well secured to the subfloor and drain pipe so that it won't rock and roll. Wax rings are designed to squish out to accomodate slight differences like you have.
  3. Cass

Cass Plumber

Personaly, I would add 1 more extender. The top of the flange should be above floor level.