flange height

Users who are viewing this thread

farrington

Reaction score
I installed a 1/2" closet flange extender which puts me 1/8" shy above finished floor. More like 3/32". I thought that was ok. Just by chance i was flipping through a plumbing book and read flanges should be 1/2" minimum above finished floor. I wouldn't sweat this but there is a ceiling fan below the bathroom very close to the toilet drain and water leaking could be a real problem. I know too high isn't good either. The toilet is a basic american standard. I'm not sure if I should add another extender to bring it to 1/2". any ideas?? thanks

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I believe you should either re-read the book or check another book. Flanges are supposed to rest on top of (not above) the finished floor. A wax ring will likely seal just fine with the flange just 3/32" lower than the floor as long as it is well secured to the subfloor and drain pipe so that it won't rock and roll. Wax rings are designed to squish out to accomodate slight differences like you have.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Personaly, I would add 1 more extender. The top of the flange should be above floor level.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks