flange extender over slab

Users who are viewing this thread

Scott99

Reaction score
my existing flange is level or 1/8 below my finished floor.
I have a Oatey 1/4 extender that I am considering to install, or may just go with a thick wax ring.

the extender has a bit of a cone rim that fits into the existing flange and is very snug and flexes some when pushed down into the existing flange. it doesn't fit flush if you just place it on.

is this normal? the 1/2 extender doesn't have this rim.

I was planning securing the toilet bolts using the existing flange and securing the extender to existing flange with some 1" bolts and silicone. I know securing to the slab would be preferred, but I tried drilling into the slab and the hole is too close to the opening for the drain and it breaks away.

should I proceed with the extender or go thick wax?

If I recall correctly the original flange fits into the drain pipe while my toilets on my second floor have flanges that fit over the drain pipe. not sure if this has something to do with it being in a slab or over subfloor..

thanks
Scott

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If it is a 4" pipe, you can use an internal flange. You should be able to remove the existing flange, put down the tile or whatever finished flooring you want, then install a new one on top of the finished flooring. that is the preferred way, rather than juryrigging the existing one. Otherwise, you could probably just get by with either a thick wax ring, or one of the waxless jobs (which have a funnel-like extension).

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
If I recall correctly the original flange fits into the drain pipe while my toilets on my second floor have flanges that fit over the drain pipe. not sure if this has something to do with it being in a slab or over subfloor..

That depends if it is plastic and what fittings they used.

I'm not to sure of the flange extenders. Just one more thing to go wrong. I would go with a fat wax ring with the built in horn.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks